Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Have you ever looked into a jug and seen . . .

bookjunky4life
12 years ago

a GIANT spider only a few inches from your eyeball? Yes, I screamed. There are always lots of spiders around and in the jugs, but this one was HUMUNGOUS!

Comments (18)

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Yup, sure have! lol!

Karen

• terrene
    12 years ago

Not a spider, but there was a froggie in the rain water that had accumulate in a tray that some containers were in. I didn't scream, but probably jumped when he jumped to the other end of the tray! I live on a dry lot, so he hung around for a couple days until the next rain, then took off to wetter climes...

Actually the WS nursery with the containers and constant moisture seems to be a little haven for wildlife!

• molanic
    12 years ago

No huge spiders yet, but I did have someone startle me. In the heat of summer, my late to plant out containers that I keep well shaded and watered became this guys favorite hang out.

{{gwi:364209}}

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Yup, found toads in them too. And worms.

Karen

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Yeah, I have to remind myself that the spiders are good guys in the garden when I have a close encounter like that! I've also found pill bugs and green caterpillars in there eating my lettuce sprouts before. Grrrr!!! Living in a high desert climate, the only frogs I have ever seen are at the river, or in a man made pond, so I would be more than a little surprised if I looked in there and saw that, Molanic!

Bonnie

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Yep.. just this morning saw a spider in a jug...

• barbe_wa
    12 years ago

I have salamanders that live in my greenhouse. They really love the warmth and keep the bug population down as a return favor. They don't even run away when I go in there to work. Love 'em!

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Barbe, I didn't even know that they could live here, but my husband actually rescued a salamander from a job site, that had fallen into a steep stairwell. Several of his buddies down there were already dried up and dead, so he became a pet. He lives with my son's two Fire Bellied toads, and even though he has doubled in sized, miraculously he hasn't eaten one of them yet, though he does nip at them when they eat a cricket that he had his eye on. I even see them snuggling up together sometimes. Very interesting to watch!

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Yep, they're out there. One early morning I went out to look at the garden and walked into a giant barn-spider web, the large, nickel-size spider fell off its web and landed straight into the gap between my yaboos. Since then, I mostly wear underwires when I'm gardening 'cause with underwires there is no gap.

• daisydawnny
    12 years ago

ha ha, I had a frog in my tote I had cups in, scared the beejeebers out of me!He and his spouse spent the summer in our pond plenty of spiders in the greenhouse, a salamander would be cool.

• vajeff
    12 years ago

Nothing but algae, a mosquito, and some sort of tiny crawly bug in mine. I did note spider webs inside the opening of one container, so I'm not too eager to put my eye up to it and peek in. I'm amazed that the slugs haven't found any of my containers yet... knock of wood.

I'm terrified of spiders! I don't shout or anything, but they definitely make my skin crawl and leave me startled for a while. I go out of my way to squish every last threatening-looking one of them or spray them with the jet setting on the hose, especially if they surprise me. Hey, they lay 1000000 babies in those gross sacs and I'm not having primal fear of them for nothing! Last year I got bitten by a recluse type while clearing out bushes (tons of those spiders!)... so a dead spider is one less that can bite me! But, every once in a while I might let one live if it stays peacefully in its spot, eating all the bugs... but I'll keep a constant eye on it to make sure it's still there and not anywhere near me. Knocking down or squishing barn spiders is an absolute must. I HATE walking into their webs when I get the morning paper, and they look scary. Sorry for the rant! I hate spiders!

• aklinda
    12 years ago

I had a bunch of winter sown liter pop bottles on the ground and the tops had been removed. The soil in one of them was moving up and down, as if the container was breathing. I tapped the container and a HUGE toad jumped out and nearly gave me a heart attack - like the toad pictured above. I think that was about 4 years ago and I like to think the giant toad I see every summer in my flower bed is him. He likes to burrow into the very thick mulch to escape the New Mexico sun and has since given me several other heart attacks by leaping out when least expected.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The house I owned in 2010 had a larger covered front porch where I kept my sprouted jugs in the summer. There were constantly toads in them. They buried themselves in and were always messing up my seeds. Jugs are also a haven for my outside cats/kittens who are always playing in them and knocking them over!

• tepelus
    12 years ago

@ Trudi--yaboos. lol! I would be screaming like someone was killing me if that happened.

Karen

• Edie
    12 years ago

Trudi - I never thought about the benefits of certain bra types that way. I would probably have screamed and started stripping clothes off right there.

We've had lots of spiders indoors this winter and I still jump/yelp when one runs out in front of me. We get the big furry wolf spiders here. I expect one of them to find and crawl into the containers any day now.

The unidentified snake that hangs out in my garden is the critter I'm most wary of. I'm still not convinced it's a garter - there is that slight possibility it's a baby copperhead or rattler. One day I picked up a flowerpot to move it and there was the coiled snake. It picked its head up and looked at me. I froze. Eventually it uncoiled and slithered away, and I remembered to breathe.

• Mindyw3
    12 years ago

Not in a jug BUT i have raised beds with chicken wire around each, about 2.5 feet tall. I have on numerous occassions leaned over to weed or pick something and found my face inches from a web and or spider chilling on a web strung across the wire. I am very arachnaphobic! And we have tons because we are about half a block from the papio. Yuck.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

LOL! Yes, I have! Those darn things make little webs right across the opening of the jug! After all these years you'd think I'd have learned not to stick my eyeball right in the opening.

:)
    Dee

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    12 years ago

I'm with vajeff -- I hate spiders. While I know they're good for eating pests, I just can't deal with them. They make my skin crawl and I DO scream when one startles me.

Trudi, I still get creeped out when you tell that story. Those farm spiders are among the worst for me.

Caryl

Sponsored