Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamark

A story of a ws'ed kale... (pic's)

adamark
13 years ago

For those of you who are thinking about ws'ing veggies. As you can see, it works. This was my first year gardening. Most of these veggies are ws'ed. However, I'd like you to see some of my kale pics

Last summer - You can see kale at the edges of beds. This dark green one towards the end, it is a black cabbage (type of kale)

{{gwi:364380}}

In December under the snow

{{gwi:364381}}

{{gwi:364382}}

Harvest from under the snow

{{gwi:364383}}

Chicago's blizzard of the century (almost). Kale is somewhere there

{{gwi:364384}}

And, look what I've found today

{{gwi:364386}}

And the next generation is coming

{{gwi:364388}}

Comments (12)

• stlgirl
    13 years ago

Amazing - love it!

~StLGirl

• LilBlossom
    13 years ago

I remember seeing these pics just before Christmas last year, and I was SOOOOO impressed! I can't wait until I can do that in my yard! :o)

• tempusflits
    13 years ago

I've been wondering if it's too early to plant kale in my container garden. Now, I'm convinced. I'm gonna go get me another container and winter sow kale in it. Thank you for your post.

Your whole garden is nice looking, but that picture of kale is fabulous.

• tepelus
    13 years ago

What a nice little kale story. :)

Karen

• dorothy4981
    13 years ago

Adamark, were you the one that tended the gardens for "It's Complicated"?

Thank you for sharing!

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

"That is Kool!" The Kale Lived thru the winter!? Thanks for the reassurance. My Kale and Broccoli have sprouted. The Tomotoes, Squash & Cuc's Nada.

• adamark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Meadows; thank you for a complement. My garden was just a disordered jungle not a perfectly alligned one as in the moovie. But, the most important, mine was ws'ed as compare to growned in greenhouses and transplanted for the movie set (I did google.

• ellenrr
    13 years ago

Beautiful!

My nursery guy tells me that kale and collard and other cold weather vegies actually need that cold to sweeten.

enjoy!

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Thank you so much. I learned something new. I use the kale for chips in the dehydrator and juicing. Were you able to harvest all winter long? Can you direct sow in the garden now?

• adamark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is so funny about that kale. I planted because it looks nice. I tried chips, didn't come very good. Finaly, in Sept after, again, getting sick, I've learned that kale is one of the best plant to bust your immune system. From Sep on, every day, I have made a "kale smoothie" - kale, banana, frozen blueberries, yogurt, pomegranate juice and whatever fruits I have. Needless to say, I haven't been sick since. Before, I would get sick in Sept and continously be sick (sinusitis, bronchitis, etc, etc) until about now. I'm a great believer in kale.
    Re harvesting - I was harvesting until it got covered with snow. At the end of Dec (pic), I've pick up as much as I could and freezed. I had frozen kale until about now. Looks like I can start harvesting again. You don't need much for a smoothie, 3 -5 leaves.

• quilt_mommy
    13 years ago

Wow, your garden is beautiful, and I am excited about the kale! I thought I'd plant flowering kale as an ornamental this year, I didn't realize how hardy it is!

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I love kale too. It's a staple of the winter garden over here but we don't sow it until April/May to plant out July for eating all through the winter and spring. We are currently eating Red Russian and Curly kale (borecole like the ones in the photo). I also grow purple sprouting broccoli which overwinters and produces shoot about now - we just had the first picking. The new growth is always the first fresh greens of the year.

Sponsored