Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beatrice_outdoors

Please report if your temps were in low 20s and you did NOT cover

beatrice_outdoors
12 years ago

I, too had 70-80 degree temps for three days, so I uncovered all my containers so they did not cook, although I was too late for one container of astilbe seedlings-lost the whole thing the first morning because I did not get out there fast enough.

We had temps in the low 20s last night with wind chills in the low teens, and we expect the same again tonight. 70% of my containers have sprouted. I have limited time for sowing, and figured I could leave all as is and hope for the best, and re-sow any that die if needed...or I could put the lot of the sprouted ones in the shed and use my future sowing time for the annuals and any others I've not yet had time for. Karen's link on frost says that young growing plants are vulnerable to frost but does not say anything about temps this low and freezing solid, so I chose option #2, and any containers that have already sprouted went into the shed.

This is only my 4th year WSing, and I've never experienced such a hard frost after such warm days. It's the extremes that worry me-from 80 to 24 in two days???

I'd like to hear from those brave souls who have

-already uncovered their sprouts

-left them in 28 or lower nighttime temps (with or without wind chills) for one or more nights already.

Did your seedlings survive? If you are expecting the same hard frost two nights (or more) in a row will you still do the same?

Your experience and affirmation that all IS well after the last two nights would be great.

Also, if you STILL leave your covers off and have the same hard frost for the next night or two, your confirmation in a few days' time that all is STILL well would be much appreciated.

I know this sounds like nervous nellie, but I'm hoping to become a complete convert once I hear from you, and I promise never to worry about my sprouts again.

Thanks,

Beatrice

Comments (9)

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

This is not a Sky is Falling event, this happens every year in some region or another. Every year throughout the country there will be regions with warm days followed by harsh nights. In my experience, seeds of hardy plants do just fine. A few tenderest annuals may succumb, but truly just a few. As flats have staggered germination, any seeds unsprouted will still sprout.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I have 3 open jugs ready to be transplanted, I've left them open for the past 3 days. They are doing fine.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

It depends on what they are. I'd bet ladyrose's are hardy perennials or hardy annuals.

If they had been zinnias or marigolds or impatiens or coleus or any number of tender plants, my money says they would have bitten the dust. Been there, done that, even with the seedlings still in a covered jug.

If I spend good $ on seeds for a plant I know I can't live without, and it's a tender perennial or tender annual, I still give it protection.

Karen

• beatrice_outdoors
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much for your reports and suggestions.

I took a chance and put out 4 flats the second night, but still kept the covers on. Perennial foxglove, false sunflower (Helianthus helanthoides), Rose of Sharon, and Convolvulus (figured I'd throw in an annual for good measure). All had sprouted over two weeks prior, and the flats were quite full and lush. Temps in my area were in the high 20's by 5AM. All four flats lost between 50% and 75% of the seedlings, which started out green and shriveled the next morning and are now quite brown and dead.

Lessons learned:

Know your own microclimate. I am less than a mile from the beach, which may have played a part in how cold it was in my own back yard.

Know your container type. The soil in my flats is not as deep as that in a milk jug, and so may not have been sufficient protection for tender roots that most likely froze solid for a while.

I'm glad I did multiple flats of each!

• girlcat36
    12 years ago

Oh my, Beatrice, I'm sorry you lost so many seedlings! I'm on Cape Cod(but about 3 mi. from the beach) and I didn't lose much---just some cosmos, and celosia but there's planty of time to start up again. That's very good advice about the container type. I lost nothing in milk jugs, but the smaller, shorter containers took a hit.

Teresa

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I'm sorry for your losses Beatrice and Teresa. But you have learned a valuable factoid for the future.

Since I lost some important-to-me seedlings once years ago, I'm far more conscientious about protecting from frost. And I never regret it.

Karen

• ellenrr
    12 years ago

I agree with Karen. And not all seeds have staggered germination. One year all my salvia germinated in February during a warm spell. They all died when we had frost.

Lesson learned!

I don't sow my tender annuals til April.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I do tenders in March or April, depending on weather that year. With weather so warm this year, I did them a couple of weeks ago, around mid-March. But then I don't mind covering them for a light frost or even putting a few special ones in the garage overnight for a deep freeze.

I have been of a different mindset on this than Trudi and others for a long time. It's just one of those times when friends just have to agree to disagree. And I do consider Trudi and bakemom and all the other "tough love" advocates long time friends to whom I will be forever grateful for teaching me to wintersow many years ago. I don't have a friend in the world with whom I agree on everything. ;-)

Karen

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    12 years ago

Because of the warm temps all of my tender plants have sprouted, even my tomatoes, which came up in mid-March when they usually don't appear until April.

We, too, had night temps in the mid- to low-20s this past week. I threw a heavy drop cloth over the whole lot and all seem to have survived, even the toms and zinnias. My sole aim was keeping the frost off the leaves -- never thought about the roots. I would think it takes more than a few cold nights to freeze the soil, but I'm no expert.

Caryl

Sponsored