Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh no--sprouts!

Posted by lovesblooms z7 MD (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 12:32

On 2/25 I planted some scarlet flax (among others) in the basement, which has hovered between 40 and 50 all winter. I wasn't able to bring them outdoors, and today when I went to bring them out finally, I found lots of sprouts.

Should I bring them out and just leave the top on (they're in a green plastic soda bottle cut the same way I did the plastic milk jugs)? Or keep them indoors until...? It's supposed to get warmer next week, and I'm expecting more containers may sprout around then, but at least it would be natural since they're outdoors...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh no--sprouts!

Welp, yesterday I brought everything out--including the scarlet flax sprouts by mistake. I only remembered later and then thought, well, we'll see. Not like I don't have anything to replace them. Last night we had a low in the late teens. I went out this morning and checked--the babies are still standing straight, their seed coats still hanging on like little caps on the cotelydons. No sign of damage.

I'll keep an eye on them and see whether the succession of warm days/freezing nights in store for us over the coming week or so does anything, good or bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here