Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greengardener07

What plants do you winter sow that are deer resistant?

greengardener07
16 years ago

I am sowing or have sown:

rudbeckia

coneflower

blanketflower

lavender

morning glory

ornamental blue fescue

mexican sunflower

I would liek to place them on my hill, outside my fence and we do get deer. Are the above deer resistant? Do you know of anything I can winter sow that is deer resistant.

I have some salvia seed from last years plants and will put some marigolds out there if I can.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i think i have heard queens anns lace or sweet annie is.
    echinacea's, rudbeckia's, dicentra's, Acanthopanax -- Aralia
    Achillea -- Yarrow
    Aconitum -- Monkshood
    Aegopodium -- Bishop's Weed
    Agastache -- Anise Hyssop
    Ajuga -- Creeping Bugleweed
    Alchemilla -- Lady's Mantle
    Allium -- Ornamental Chives
    Amsonia -- Blue Star
    Artemisia -- Wormwood
    Arum -- Lords and Ladies
    Asclepias -- Butterfly Weed
    Aubrieta -- False Rock Cress
    Ballota -- Black Horehound
    Belamcanda -- Blackberry Lily
    Berberis thunbergii -- Barberry
    Buddleia davidii -- Butterfly Bush
    Buxus -- Boxwood
    Calamintha -- Calamint
    Carex  Sedge (grasslike plants)
    Caryopteris -- Bluebeard
    Cephalanthus -- Honey balls
    Cerastium -- Snow in Summer
    Corydalis
    Daffodil -- see Narcissus
    Daphne -- Daphne
    Dicentra -- Bleeding Hearts
    Digitalis -- Foxglove
    Dracocephalum -- Dragon's head
    Echinops -- Globe Thistle
    Elsholtzia -- Mint Shrub
    Epimedium  Barrenwort
    Euphorbia -- Spurge
    Fallopia  Fleeceflower
    Ferns
    Filipendula -- Dropwort
    Fritillaria
    Galium -- Sweet Woodruff
    Genista -- Broom
    Geranium -- Hardy, Scented Geranium; Cranesbill
    Grasses -- Ornamental Grass (see also Carex)
    Helenium -- Sneezeweed
    Helleborus -- Hellebore
    Hypericum -- St. John's Wort
    Hyssopus -- Hyssop
    Iris siberica -- Siberian Iris
    Lamium -- Dead Nettles
    Lavandula -- Lavender
    Lespedeza
    Ligularia -- Ligularia
    Ligustrum -- Privet
    Linaria -- Toadflax
    Lindera -- Spice bush
    Linum -- Blue Flax
    Lychnis -- Rose Campion
    Lysimachia -- Whorled Loosestrife
    Melissa -- Lemon Balm
    Mentha -- Mint
    Monarda -- Bee Balm
    Myrica -- Northern Bayberry
    Narcissus -- Daffodil
    Nepeta -- Catnip
    Origanum -- Oregano
    Paeonia -- Peony
    Papaver orientale -- Poppy
    Perilla
    Perovskia -- Russian Sage
    Phlomis -- Sticky Jerusalem Sage
    Phytolacca -- Pokeweed
    Picea -- Spruce
    Podophyllum -- Mayapple
    Polemonium --Jacob's Ladder
    Potentilla -- Cinquefoil
    Prunella -- Selfheal
    Pycnanthemum -- American Mountain Mint
    Rhamnus -- Buckthorn
    Rheum -- Ornamental Rhubarb
    Rhus -- Sumac
    Rosmarinus -- Rosemary
    Ruta -- Herb of Grace
    Salvia -- Meadow Sage
    Santolina -- Lavender Cotton
    Satureya -- Winter Savory
    Scutellaria -- Skullcap
    Senecio -- Golden Ragwort
    Specials for Spring, 2008
    Stachys -- Lamb's Ear
    Tanacetum -- Tansy
    Teucrium -- Germander
    Thymus -- Thyme
    Verbascum -- Mullein
    Verbena -- Vervain
    Zauschneria -- California fuchsia
    here's a list of a bunch i found, they're not specifically winter sown. but at least you can know, i typed in deer resistant flowers in google. yes i get bored easy!!! LOL :'))

• greengardener07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for a quick reply. I hope you did a cut and paste and not typed it out.

I did not think of butterfly bush as being deer resistant. Good, as I have 80 bajillions seeds... Okay, not that many. But I do have quiet a few of the ones listed up above.

Makes me feel good that I will be bypassed by the deer (hopefully).

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

We have deer here as well. They have not bothered the Gaillardia (Blanketflower), Echinacea (Coneflower), or Rudbeckia, but they think the tulips are extra yummy!

Other things I didn't see on the list above, that they haven't bothered in my garden (of course, your results may vary) are Dianthus (although the bunnies like this one), Geum, Asclepias tuberosa, Coreopsis, and Chrysanthemums.

Bonnie

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

medontdo - Great list!! I'll have to copy for future reference.

From 2001 to 2006 my gardens were never touched by deers. Then they discovered them and now will come right up to the house at night and devour what they like - especially my favourite Phlox Paniculata.

Because of this, I've had to change things a bit. I've discovered that a lot of butterfly friendly plants are disliked by deers. They will not eat them.

Plants which are not on the list above and which I have winter sown are Eupatorium (Joe Pye Weed), Lynchnis Chalcedonica (Maltese Cross) as well as other Lynchnis, Baptisia Australis (Blue False Indigo), Astilbe, and Aquilegia (Columbine).

One which I haven't winter sown but which they avoid is Cimicifuga (Bugbane), and another is Lupines. The Lupines grow wild here and reseed in my gardens.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

oh yeah a big time thing one lady posted somewhere about was allium, she said she had it all over, then her neighbor took them out or something then the deer started eating her gardens so this year she was gonna start putting them in like a boarder and sparadically again. LOL yes, cut and paste, LOL tabor taught me that one!! LOL and i'm supposed to be the teacher!! LOL (homeschool) HEE HEE
    i did see astilbe on there but it didn't say it was deer resistant, well it was another list. LOL i don't live on a farm yet, well animal farm, LOL unless ya count my two kiddo's!! LOL they are the onriest!! LOL :')) good luck!!

• cdsetx8
    16 years ago

We have way too many deer where I live. Last year they ate the Joe Pye weed and the flower heads off of the echinacea while still green. I sprayed a concoction that I made from a recipe I found on-line on those plants to deter them. They began to leave that stuff alone, but it didn't stop them from eating any and all fruit trees.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

medontdo,

Actually, I'm the one you are refering to in regards to the alliums. I took them out by mistake since I hadn't made the connection between them and the deers leaving my gardens alone. My gardens were much smaller at the time and I was dividing plants to give to my daughter's Spring Fair at school and by mistake they were thrown out by DH before I could place them back in the ground. It's later that year that the deers began to eat the gardens and I put two and two together.

Last fall, I planted over 150 alliums in the gardens all over the place. They do not like onions or any family member there of. Hopefully it will work, but I fear they've had the taste of things.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ok i remember now!! :')) hmmm.....its osssoo nice to know i do retain things!!! LOL :')) i hope they stay out of your gardens!! :'))

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

That is great to read about the alliums. I received some in a trade last fall and planted them in with my tulip bulbs. With any luck that may keep the deer away! I am going to pray that the alliums pop up early when the tulips start to sprout!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ok i "just happened" LOL to come accross another thingi, hope thing. LOL hope these ones help out.
    Q&A: Flowers Deer Avoid
    Question: We live in upstate NY, and have several areas that would be great for naturalizing perennials and bulbs. Can you suggest plants that would be somewhat deer-resistant?

Answer: Deer are crafty, and if they're hungry, persistent. This is to say, take all "deer resistant" recommendations with a grain of salt because hungry deer will eat just about anything. That said, here are some choices that would work where you live: astilbe, bee balm, bleeding heart, columbine, coreopsis, crocosmia, crocus, daffodil, dahlia, foxglove, gloriosa daisy, hellebore, lupine, moss pink, pincushion flower, poppy, purple coneflower, and thyme. The only guaranteed solution to keeping deer at bay is a fence -- one tall enough that deer can't jump.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

Those lists of things deer won't eat don't come with guarantees. The thing about deer - they get curious, and their tastes change. Our deer don't even get really hungry with no snow cover, but they will ALWAYS eat the roses, raspberries, and columbine.

Last year they ate allium flavum and cyaneum down to nubs so don't be thinking they will never touch an ornamental onion....nothing else in that bed was touched.

Hardy geraniums are a fav here too.

This year we've found substantial munching on a neighbors big boring evergeen laurel and her viburnum. One winter and only one winter, they ate every azalea on all sides of my house.

Normally I don't protect anything but roses from deer, and they continue to occasionally surprise me by trying something new.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!