Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

So Far So Good!

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

The green wave has descended upon me, a newbie, like the rest of you and here are the containers I have sprouting so far!

Clarkia

Larkspur

Bunny Tails Grass

Tithonia (I think these died)

Forget Me Not (annual)

Butterfly Weed (Two so far!)

Canterbury Bells

Phlox "Beauty Dwarf Mixed Colors"

Pink Hollyhock

Verbena bonariensis

Blue Flax

Coreopsis Tinctioria

Liatris

Amaranthus-Love Lies Bleeding

False Indigo

Delphinium "Pacific Giants Mixed Colors"

The last six and one of the Butterfly Weed containers I just noticed today. I'm writing down the days when I see sprouts in a new container. This is lots of fun and I'll do it in years to come!

Today is my birthday too and I have lots more to plant. It's nice today so I'll be planting some more today!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (13)

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Happy birthday, Brad!! And congratulations on all your sprouts! You must be warmer where you are--all I have so far are a few lupine sprouts and they're not even green yet.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, gardenweed! We've been having nice warmer temps but still getting chilly at night. A few of the ones that sprouted aren't green yet either. I hope you'll see more sprouts soon!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ellenrr
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday!
    That's a nice present, isn't it?
    You have quite a collection.

I am like Gardenweed still in the frigid zone, not much happening, but the green wave is coming.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    13 years ago

Congratulations! I am just learning about butterfly gardening. Later on I am hoping that you might share which plants attract the most birds & butterflies & share whether you ws'd or what to get that plant. TIA. How about a cat off the internet to happy dance with you? Happy Birthday! Your sprouts popped up to celebrate with you!

{{gwi:364968}}

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Happy Birthday! Brad.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you again, guys!

Ellenr, yes it is a nice birthday present to have! I do have lots of different seeds! I just got done planting 11 more containers!

River, I'll keep you and everyone else updated on which plants are butterfly and hummingbird (You did mean hummingbirds?) magnets. I planted a coral honeysuckle last summer but I'll see how it does since I heard it attracts the hummers. Love the dancing cat picture!

I'll post a picture of my ice cream cake later on! We started eating it yesterday (more or less celebrated then). I wish you all could have a slice!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday and congrats on your sprouts!

• v1rt
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday Brad!!! :D

• sjc48
    13 years ago

Brad - Happy Birthday, and congrats on the sprouts! I wondered if you were starting a Butterfly garden, when I read you list-plant plenty of host plants, they will double, at least, the amount and types of butterflies you'll get!
    My cats go upstairs and hide when I do the Dance in the house, so maybe it's good thing to have the picture!
    Shirley!

• bev2009
    13 years ago

I'm getting my birthday wishes in a little late, but a very Happy Birthday to you! What a nice birthday surprise to get the green wave. You will attract the butterflies with that list of plants. It really makes a difference to have the right plants!

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

happy slightly belated birthday! congrats on your sprouts!!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone! Sorry, I forgot to post a picture of my cake! I'll post it here later on! I was very tired last night and forgot about it.

Shirley, I do have seeds for some host plants already started or have yet to plant. I have common, swamp, tropical and poke milkweed, fennel, rue and parsley seeds too.

Bev, I'm hopiing to get all sorts of butterflies in the yard this year! I usually see the swallowtails and many other types (including a hummingbird moth) but rarely the monarchs come into the yard. I did see one while out walking though last summer and it appeared to be a female laying eggs on the common (wild) milkweed plants! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Now I'm off to go check my containers!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to do this yesterday, but here is what's sprouting for me lately. I found these yesterday. No new sprouts today.

The four I found yesterday are:
    Blanket Flower (sown on 1/17)
    Scabiosa Mixed Colors (sown 1/1)
    Purple Balloon Flower (sown 12/21)
    Swamp Milkweed (sown 1/1)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting