Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden (and Life) Updates

Posted by moonwolf Z6 Central PA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 13:59

Hi everyone,

My perennials are all planted, and now just waiting until it's a tad warmer to start sowing the annuals. I'm in the mood to plant, but the weather is very cold today. I only have one single Lupine sprout to report, but the warmer weather headed our way, may start The Green Wave, I hope. Rain forecasted for my area on Friday and Saturday, so I hope the seeds will get a nice drink.

Tomorrow is my 24th birthday. Celebrating by watching Frozen (I have not seen it yet), and eating some Dairy Queen ice cream cake. If there's a break in the rain on Saturday, I'm taking my pruning shears to start cutting back the dead flowers at the theatre. I get gardening responsibilites this year, since I asked that I can donate my WS seedlings to them (not all, since I do have other people that want some).

Suggestions on what annuals I can start planting soon are more than welcome. I have Datura, Mexican Sunflower, Sweet Annie, Zinnias, Four O'Clocks, Nicotianas, Amaranthus/Love Lies Bleeding, Scarlet Runner Beans (a first time try for these), Larkspur, Alyssum, Ageratum, Cypress Vine (labeled Hummingbird Vine annual), Salvia, Calendula, Globe Amaranth, and Peony Poppy. I may pick up a couple packs of Sweet Peas, too. I know those like cooler weather and the varieties I saw at Wal-Mart, fortunately, tolerate heat.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden (and Life) Updates

Hi Brad,
I am also waiting to plant annuals. Usually I would be planting now, but with the unusual cold weather, I don't feel motivated.

It's in the low 20's here with the wind chill.
very extreme for almost April.

I hope I can get started soon.
Sounds like you have a good mix of annuals.

ellen

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 12:24

Happy 24th birthday Brad, I hope you have a wonderful day. I've just sown some perennials so far this year, no farther along than this garden renovation has come, I doubt I'll do much with annuals. So I hope you, and others, will post pictures so I can enjoy those :) Again, happy birthday.

o

Wintersowing in containers? Now: amaranthus, larkspur, sweet Annie, alyssum, calendula, peony poppy are definite. Many of the others might do fine being planted now, too, but I would hold off on zinnia for another few weeks. Good luck! It's been the endless winter here (we don't get snow, but it does get cold). Between the crazy temperature swings and the wind, I have not had a very good winter sowing year - and for other reasons, I have to hold off until the end of April now, but that will still leave time for plenty of good stuff.

o

Thank you, everyone!

I might get started on them soon. I have other garden chores, to do, too. Mainly pruning and pulling out dead annuals/veggie plants, but the ground is still pretty frozen for the latter chore. It's overcast today, with some rain this morning, so maybe the ground will soften up in the next few weeks.

I have amaranthus seeds I aquired in trades, but they aren't labeled what kind. One just says "Amaranthus" and the other says "Red Amaranthus" with some growing info. Just yesterday, I bought two packs of Scabiosa "Summer Berries" and "Old Spice" and "Mammoth Mix" Sweet Peas. It was a good birthday :-).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here