Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

Doing the EZ mode type of winter sowing this year.

silverkelt
13 years ago

Dont get me wrong.. I enjoy winter sowing.. its just Ive done 100's of types of perreniels and have no need to do alot of items that require cold stratification any longer.. This is my 7th year wintersowing or 6th\.. I always forget. Somewhere in there.

1. Im doing mostly annuals this year.. just did the majority of my hardy annuals, snapdragons, calendula, asters, poppies ect.

2. Ive waited till snow season is almost over.. Ive lost dozens of jugs over the years becuase of snow weight.. 100 inches + of snow every year , with ice in between can do that.

3. I no longer tape the jugs... Cant be bothered. I barely lose one, I think last year last one or two do a very windy day.

4. I wait till I can reattach the outside hose as well, no fuss, no mess inside, takes less time.

5. All of my jugs are filled outside now as well, dirt goes on the ground.. works well

Dont get me wrong, If I wanted to cold strat something i will, but if I dont have to.. this method works so much better for me now. Every year with kids getting old, having more kids , more work ect.. this just works better for me now.

Silverkelt

Comments (3)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

That's pretty much the point, just do what's easiest and works best for you ;) Tweak the rules as experience shows you what's good for your needs.

I sowed some perennials yesterday that need only a very brief chill if any - and can happily say I no longer have a bucket of dirt, pots, bag of grit, to step around in front of my washer and dryer. My custard cups of seeds are off the kitchen counter, label maker put away too.

• terrene
    13 years ago

I am looking for techniques that make WSing easier too. Not as young as I used to be, and I have shoulder tendonitis from shoveling too much this winter, which is requiring me to ease off activity for awhile. So this year I am:

- Sowing less perennials /more annuals & veggies. After years of buying, swapping, and WSing perennials, there are plenty in the gardens, as well as some in the pot ghetto still waiting to be planted!

- Using more 16 oz cups, and sowing fewer seeds per cup - so it's easier to closely monitor the sprouting and performance of some more expensive seeds.

- letting the rain get the containers wet before sowing. After filling the cups/bottles with soil, I line them up in a planter or plastic box and put them outside on the deck just before they predict some rain. Much easier!

• Edie
    13 years ago

Isn't the whole concept based on keeping it simple? Last year was my first and I definitely made it more complicated than necessary.

I decided to simplify for myself this year by not labeling containers with the plant name. Sharpie markers are evil and have been banished from all my garden projects. I labeled my peppers with a Sharpie on plastic tags last year at transplant time and the labels were blank a week later. This year I'm only using paint pens. I've been writing the container number in four places on the jug: inside, outside on the bottom, and outside on two sides of the bottom half. No separate labels. I made a spreadsheet with all the numbers listed so I know what's what.

No tape here either. I've been cutting the tops almost all the way around, and using a hole punch to make holes in each half, opposite the hinge. Then a twist tie to hold it closed. Punch, punch, twist, done. I save twist ties from fresh produce bags so I always have plenty.

-Edie

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting