Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrel_girl

Anyone have Michigan sprouts? (or not)

squirrel_girl
16 years ago

Do any of my fellow Michiganders have sprouts? Are you still waiting impatiently like me? Where are you? Southern, Western, Northern, or UP.

Let's hear the status of your sprouts.

Waiting for the wave,

Squirrel Girl

Comments (24)

• lizardingo
    16 years ago

Hi Squirrel girl
    I'm in Northern MI. No sprouts yet, this is my first year so I'm very anxious!

lizardingo

• sdpa
    16 years ago

I did a few ws container for my mom (Novi - SE Mi) when we were home in Feb. She has 1 container w/ a sprout - she forgot to look at her log to tell me which seed it was.

• roxann
    16 years ago

I live in the thumb.No sprouts yet.I'm also impatient.

• sybilkrizinski
    16 years ago

Hi, I am in SW Michigan and yesterday I saw my first ten
    containers of sprouts. We had an ice storm Friday and
    that was really depressing so Saturday the sun came out so I went out and looked. There are poppies, amaranthus,
    and some other annuals. I have no perrenials up yet. These pots are all in a protected area (fenced in) so yours will be sprouting soon. I remember feeling the way you do now but don't worry, they are on their way! Sybil

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

I live in the Traverse City area and have been checking every day and no sprouts yet!!GRRRRR!!!-B

• THEGARDENPOOTER
    16 years ago

Yes I have spouts, I am in S.W. Michigan

Mums
    Poppies

The Garden Pooter!

• plant-one-on-me
    16 years ago

Good to see others from Mich here. I am in WE MI just outside of Detroit. I just found this website and ran out and did 14 containers last week. No sprouts yet but I am hoping to see some green really soon. I did start my peas indoors with my granddaughter and the little buggers are already about a foot tall! I hope to get the soil worked and them planted out sometime later this week. I have been hardening them off. It is supposed to rain the next couple days...at least it isn't snow!!!

• stacy2564
    16 years ago

Hi all, I am also form the Traverse City area. No sprouts for me yet. But last year It was about the middle of April. I'm not worried. I still have most my annuals to plant.
    Stacy

• minnesuing
    16 years ago

No sprouts here in central MI, but it is still pretty early. I get so impatient that I am tempted to bring a few inside to make them sprout. But that kind of defeats the purpose, huh?

• vjhale
    16 years ago

Here in South Oakland County I had one container of dianthus sprout last week. Weeeee!!

• squirrel_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Novi and SW Michigan. I'm not too far from Novi, and I have nothing. I'm in that little area that still is zone 5 though. I think last year I got a few sprouts the week before the April deep freeze. I was lazy and didn't bundle them up well enough. I lost 1/2 of them.

Plant on on me: Glad you found this forum. You will love the ease of this. I wonder if there is more anxiety with winter sowing? I've rarely sown inside, so I can't compare. The warm rainy weather is nice. It makes it seem as if spring might really come. The snow has got to end!

Lizzard, Spda, Roxann, Sybil, Brandy, Garden Pooter, PlantOOM, Stacy, Minnesuing: Thanks for posting. It is fun to have someone nearby to compare progress with. I'm feeling the need to sow more containers.

Minnesuing: I wish you had not suggested the idea of bringing some inside. The thought never crossed my mind before now. It would be shameful of me to give in now with just a few weeks to go.

Keep us updated ladies and gents.

Squirrel Girl

• squirrel_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Vjhale, I missed you in my last post. You must have posted while I was typing. Welcome, and I'm jealous of your sprouts. Keep em coming. Oh, and in the last hour, the bluebirds arrived for the first time this year. A sweet little couple exploring my yard and hopefully finding their new house.

• isamae
    16 years ago

I haven't checked this site in awhile and I was so excited to see a post from Michiganders that I have to add that I have 5 containers with sprouts so far! I am in Livingston county and it is so great to have a thunderstorm instead of snow tonight!! Isamae

• gladahmae
    15 years ago

I'm in the Traverse City area, brand new at this! I only did 6 containers this year, but no sprouts yet! It's supposed to be beautiful this week though!

• squirrel_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

SE Mich: I have lupine germination as of 4-2-08. No sprouts, but if I look closely, I can see a stem or roots coming out of the lupine seed case. My poor seedlings have far too much ventilation and are feeling a bit chilled.

Isamae, what has germinated for you?

• etravia
    15 years ago

Well, I'm not in MI, but I'm in northern Indiana, 3 miles from the state line. I have lettuce, spinach, and alyssum sprouts! Whooo Hoooo!!!!

• squirrel_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome gladahmae and etravia. Etravia, congrats on the sprouts. I guess I better get my spinach in the ground. Were you in SueK's seed swap? I think I have some of your seed waiting to germinate. And if you were the lupine in a coffee filter lady, I love you! That's the only thing showing signs of success right now. Keep us updated.

SG

• vjhale
    15 years ago

Reporting from South Oakland County again, and things are starting to pop here with the start of spring weather. When I came home from work yesterday, there were 5 kinds of dianthus, 2 agastache, and 2 lychnis germinated. Hardy geranium 'Bill Wallis' has also sent up an early sprout - the hardy geraniums don't usually germinate quite so early, so a nice surprise. Big smiles here.

• april_50
    15 years ago

Hey "Thumbers"

I'm in the lower Thumb, 5 miles in from Lake Huron. Sprouts started right on time this year, the first week of April. As of today I have:
    Alyssum
    Calendula
    Mountain Phlox
    Bachelor Buttons

I expect more to pop if we get to 60 tomorrow.

I still have alot of annuals to do this week, been stalling due to the unusually cold weather here.

Thumb of MI Rocks!

April

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Hey anyone in the Traverse City area....I HAVE SPROUTS!!!
    Just alyssum so far but it's the start of my wave.-B

• minnesuing
    15 years ago

Also checked my alyssum and it is starting to sprout. Only planted it a week ago, though. So far zero perennials in central MI.

This is only my second summer in MI. When do you start to direct sow? Do you go by date or strictly soil temperature? Thanks!

• stacy2564
    15 years ago

Traverse city sprouts here too. poppy's and cleome.

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Stacy, my poppies have sprouted and sorrel too. I just realized I didn't put out my cleome, is it too late? -B

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

This is what I have so far:
    Achillea-summer berries 3/19 4/5
    3/04 4/6
    Alyssum-royal carpet 3/19 4/5
    Dianthus-plumarius 2/08 4/6
    Stock 3/04 4/6
    Poppy mixed 3/19 4/5
    Bach.But. black ball 2/08 4/6
    -B

Sponsored