Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thank you to who ever told me creeping thyme WS well

Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 15:08

Now I have a lot of tiny creeping thyme sprouts. I am so very happy. CT is one of my favorites. I asked about it here last season but never sowed. I bought seeds from cheap seeds (2 packs for about $3 each) they had tons of seeds and I think I sowed at least a dozen containers.

I plan to edge flowerbeds and put it between stones. I am so very exctied this seed sprouted for me I just had to share!!

I will post pics when it stops raining. I can't get over how well they germinated. One container is so full I can tell I over sowed.

WS'ing makes me so very happy!!!

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thank you to who ever told me creeping thyme WS well

• Posted by lisa33 Zone 6b PA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 16:13

Ooh...so glad to hear that! Now I wish I had sown more. When did you sow yours?

Thanks for posting,

Lisa

o

• Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 17:36

they were sown on 1/10/2010 and 1/31/2010. The 1/31 one is a large water cooler bottle stuck where I cannot peek so it may not have sprouted. However the sprouts are really tiny! They may even be close to true set of leaves! I am so surprised.

Next year I am gonna sow Creeping thyme and Ruds mostly. They are my favorites!

Karen

o

• Posted by adamark 5 W Chicago subs (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 22:46

Karen, where did you get your seeds from. I love creeping thyme as well. Just received a package from Park, tomorrow straingt to the containers, hope it's not too late.

o

Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 1:12

Cheapseeds.com
http://www.cheapseeds.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: creeping thyme 3.75 for a pack

o

That's the same one I bought. Thousands of seeds in that pack. And if anyone got some in the swap or trade with me, those are the same ones. I haven't found mine yet, so I don't know if they've germinated. Going to be doing another check today for germinated containers.

o

Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 12:39

They do give a lot of seeds at cheapseeds.com
I just love that store. Great deal for lots of flowers I really like.

Karen

o

I ws a small amount of creeping thyme a few years ago and have not had to again as it spreads rapidly and self seeds so I've always had plenty to move to new spots and share with others.

Some varieties of creeping thyme do not spread as much or make as much seed. I have some very low growing ones that are almost flat to the soil.

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 19:07

9,250 Creeping Thyme Seeds

Dang, that is ALOT of seeds! I shall go sow some of the ones that I got from Tom! Its PINK!

:)

o

I got my creeping thyme from CheapSeeds also and have had excellent germination - I did 2 milkjugs and didn't even put a dent in the package - I am going to do more jugs tonight - one can never have too much thyme :) lol ......

Lynne

o

I direct sowed a lot of mine. Haven't noticed any sprouts yet, but I sowed a lot of stuff last week before the rains. I do have poppies up. That was quick.

o

Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 22:18

wow, poppies already? that is quick. Our ground here is ust soaked. Anything I direct sow would have plenty of water :)

I guess I should direct sow some things for fun.

I just love thyme and it is so expensive pre-grown the last 6 pack I bought of plants was $10. It was one of those large ones but still too much $$.
I think I saved a bundle just on CT seeds instead of plants. I plan to add a patio with CT in the cracks. We already have it between stepping stones but it is wolly thyme. I think the cheapseeds is mother of thyme since the flowers are pink.

Karen

o

Any photos of your thyme, Karen? :-)

o

i have been trying to get this stuff going for a path with creek rock i made want it in between the rock and around. so thanks so much for this info. i will try this method :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here