Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momstar_gw

Nothing, zero, zilch, nadda!

momstar
13 years ago

I keep checking, anxiously, for the green wave. It is probably still too cold. There is still some snow on some of my jugs but I can't help it. I peek into them everyday hoping to see green.

No sprout dancing here..... yet.

Comments (22)

• LilBlossom
    13 years ago

Ditto, though mine has no snow... Patience young padawan, patience... ;o)

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

I'm in zone 5 also, no sprouts here.It is still to early for us,but soon, very soon.It will be fun to see who has them first,mine are not in any sun, so mine will be a little later.Soon we will be holding hands,and dancing like crazy,P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E,heehee
    cAROL

• dorisl
    13 years ago

Im not even looking and haven't even sowed that much yet. Only about a dozen bottles. I know better now. :)

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

The wind is shrieking outside my windows and howling through the trees so winter is still very much with us. I have no sprouts and very little hope of seeing any for at least a couple more weeks. I'm fine with waiting. Like cAROL, my containers are mostly in shade, buried under several feet of snow that's now turned to ice. They're safe and insulated from the drastic temperature swings that come when the slow advance of spring encroaches upon the fierce grip of winter. I know the waiting is tougher for new folks. I've got plenty to keep me busy while I wait--designing the beds where all the seedlings will be planted is time-consuming. What better way to see me through the dark winter days?

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

Patience is NOT a strong suit of mine... I haven't seen anything yet, but other zone sixers have. Hopefully my time will come soon! :-)

• terrene
    13 years ago

Absolutely....nothing....happening....here. I am beginning to feel very left out of this sprouts party! ;0)

Seriously, it is cold here and there is still a lot of snow on the ground. This picture was taken 3 days after we got a few new inches of snow. The winter-sowing containers are somewhere under that hump of snow. Even if I did sow new containers, I have shoulder tendonitis (getting better) and can't do any shoveling to make room for them. Sigh.
    {{gwi:366521}}

• terrene
    13 years ago

That's supposed to say the picture was taken 3 days AGO..."

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

I've decided I am not going to look anymore until Sunday. Even though I got some green. I got to take the anxiety down. It's still early. Besides, I need to make a place for them, at this point.

• aggiebee
    13 years ago

I'm in 6b and I've got nothing either! This is my first time so maybe I did something wrong. I am hoping this whole thing wasn't a bust for me. Time will tell.

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago

I am in Z5 also and the soil in my containers is still frozen solid. I don't expect to see sprouts for another month.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

aggiebee - don't lose hope yet--it's way too early. If you followed the instructions for WS you will get sprouts. My first time I sowed my few seeds in recycled salad bar tins--globeflower, dogwood, Echinacea and a few others. There was barely 2 inches of potting mix in those shallow containers. Every one of those seeds germinated. Just because others in Z6 have sprouts doesn't mean you won't. Not all Z6 climates are exactly the same--some have more moisture than others, others have more shade or a higher elevation. The seeds know when to sprout and they will when the moisture, light and temperature tell them it's the right time. You've done your part by winter sowing the seeds. Now it's time to let Mother Nature do her part.

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

I'm a newbie too aggiebee, and I knowed I sowed my seeds deeply. For the ones, that are coming up. I can see very long stems. Don't give up! Somethings coming!

Besides, we have killer Frosts, here,. I'm thinking its best the later they sprout.

• bev2009
    13 years ago

My first year I was constantly out checking...felt like a new mother. This is my third year and I love my containers dearly but I am calmer about checking for sprouts...or maybe I just like the cold less as I get older and don't want to go outside.

Never fear, you will get sprouts if you followed the directions and then you can dance and celebrate your new babies!

• aggiebee
    13 years ago

Thanks for the words of encouragement you guys! I did follow directions so we will see.

• mori1
    13 years ago

I'm in zone5 and I've got nothing. We've had some nice warm weather for a few days. Discovered that some my containers were dry as bone. Maybe getting too much sun. The cold moves back in today. I just hope I get something, soon would be nice.

• floodthelast
    13 years ago

I feel your pain. This is my third year wintersowing and I know better but have started checking containers too. I was all cool last year and didn't give it a thought till it was much later. This year I can't wait.
    I will say that if you have sown lettuce, poppies or dianthus I would check those containers first.

• bev2009
    13 years ago

mori1 - I hope your seeds will be OK. I know token explained last year about seeds drying out once they started the growing process and I actually just read about it in the last week or two again, but couldn't explain it without researching and I'm off to work soon. Something about the center of the seed bursting???? Sorry for the bad memory (and I'm just a young 58..what will I be like in 10 years).AGH!

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

No signs of life here. Wouldn't know anyway until I were to dig the containers out from under the snow. Starting tomorrow, it's going to warm up in the 40's and rain some, so I am expecting to at least see the containers.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

As of this afternoon when the temp hit 51, the containers I WS back in December and set out on my breezeway are visible for the first time since the Januaray storms. There are two or three that are crushed from the weight of the snow that was on top of them so it'll be interesting to see if the seeds sprout. If they do, I'll have to keep a close eye on them and transplant them to pots or other jugs to grow on. The tops of the jugs they're in now are flattened. Better the jugs than my roof!

• karendee
    13 years ago

I love it when there is snow...then I can resist looking. :)

This year I am using my containers to shield some painted daisy seedlings from last year WS season. The bunnies have found them tasty. I am placing containers in a ring around my little plants.

I have several perenials that have some green on them...

I know the seeds will be a while but the green on the ground is nice to see!

I remember the first year of WS I checked everyday! The second year I was better and this year I am too lazy to check...lol

Karen

• aggiebee
    13 years ago

Yay!!! Finally some teeny, tiny signs of life: columbine, veronica, snow-in-summer and liatris spicata. Phew. Now, I promise I will no longer check each day.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

The earliest germination I have recorded is 3/25 for poppies and dianthus in 2007. Previous years I just put yes or no for germination.

Reading about sprouts in other places makes me impatient for spring. Even after years and years of ws once the snow has melted so I can find the containers I still check them several times a day.

Guess I better get sowing as only have 8 containers done so far and even though I shoveled several inches of snow off the drive today winter is quickly coming to an end.