Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I got sprouts!

Posted by ellenr 7A NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 16:56

Mullein.
I was a little dubious cuz one year I tried direct sowing mullein, and none came up.
very happy to see my first sprouts.

some info on mullein:
"Mullein is a weed commonly found in abandonned lots. It grows in gravel, sand, poor soil and asphalt.
Like most weeds, mullein serves a purpose.
It has a deep taproot which loosens compacted soil.

Mullein etches lose the minerals in the gravel and transforms the minerals into a form that can be used.
It pulls the minerals, calcium, magnesium, potassium into the leaves. When the leaves fall off, or the plant is composted, nutrients are added to the soil.

It is an early succession plant. Once its job is done, and the soil is improved, it leaves."

How cool is that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I got sprouts!

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. But it begs the question as to why weeds are always the first things up? Haven't been in my garden much with all the snow and wet, but the one trip I made last week found many weeds thriving.

o

Common Mullein, a biennial is an invasive non-native weed and it's gazillion+ seeds it produces on just one are viable in the soil for decades. This one cropped up in my gardens back in the WA Palouse and I was forever pulling up babies......I lived across from crop land and pastures. No so much fun :O

Juanita

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Mullein

o

I agree Vera, invasives are a pain in the...
but where I live mullein is not very prolific. For example in the woods I see about 4-5 plants, and every year, the same number.
and in the garden area, from time to time they appear outside the garden near the compost area (I dig 'em up and put them in my garden), but some years there are none, and some years one or two.

o

Congrats on your sprouts ellen!

o

Ellen,
Congrats on the sprouts! I love growing those. They are also known as Verbascums. I get seeds from Gardens North and this year am growing 4 different kinds including Verbascum Olympicum, and Verbascum Eriophorum. I grew the Olympicum at my parents place the last couple of years due to my lack of gardening space. This plant grew 9 feet tall and had a candlelabra formation of flower spikes. Hummingbirds loved it!!!

I'm dedicating an area soley to them in the gardens I am tending for the next couple of years. I enjoy plants which make a statement!! :O)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here