Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Only cabbage shriveled

Posted by remyo 6b, Lexington KY (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 17:05

This is my first attempt at winter sowing. I followed directions to the 't' and I have many, many perennials and a few annuals sprouting nicely (I used Kevin Lee Jacobs' general guidelines).

I went to check on my cabbage during a warm week and everything was fine, and the soil stayed moist. However, at the end of this warm spell (about 4 days of temps being 50-60 daytime) and although the soil was moist, the seed-leaves (only 2 leaves) all were shriveled up (curled into themselves).

Some of the kohlrabi seedlings are up and fine, some not yet up, and the kale is poking out and seems fine. Why my precious cabbage?! I sowed 9 jugs of it because I want a lot of cabbage and have the space :*(

Should I resow the cabbage? Can I reuse the soil? Should I fear the same end for my other brassicas and take steps?

Also I sealed the entire circumference with duct tape and see that some only do one strip like a latch. The full seal would retain more heat and moisture but could this be a bad thing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Only cabbage shriveled

I wonder if the cabbage got too warm? Over heating can occur when the sun shines on those jugs. I'd take the tops off, as long as there is no frost predicted.

Martha

o

• Posted by remyo 6b, Lexington KY (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 22:05

Unfortunately, I'm still two weeks from LFD and a few weeks from GLFD so I can't leave them off yet. I will resow then and open during the day.

Think I can reuse the soil?

Frustrating :\ brassicas are my favorite and was hoping to get a little more out of them this season.

o

Yes, reuse the soil. I'd just fluff the surface a bit and resow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here