Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plastic milk jugs

Posted by Ghita 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 17:10

I'm just doing this for the first time this year. Is it necessary to completely tape the top back to the bottom or can I just use a tab to keep the lid down?

Just wondering....

Also, I see that winter squash can be wintersown, but can zucchini and acorn squash also be wintersown? How about leeks?

I have about 60 cartons down now.
Cantaloupe
Broccoli
Chinese Cabbage
Romaine Lettuce
Peas
Eggplant
Basil
Parsley
Leaf lettuce

Next is sunflowers, butternut squash, and tomato.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plastic milk jugs

I just leave the handle side intact and use twist ties through little holes on the other side to close the jug. I spring sow my squash and cucumbers (using the wintersow method) rather than wintersow because they grow so fast and I don't think the plants should be very large when transplanted. I always wintersow leeks, and they do very well.

o

I think one piece of tape, usually on the side opposite the hinge side, should be enough. If you are like me and look in (i.e. pick up and put down) your jugs almost every single day for sprouts, even in the dead of winter, lol, then you may want a bit more tape, since the jug takes a lot of jostling. Some of my earlier-sown jugs I will tape all around the cut, but for the later-sown ones (since they are not exposed to as much weather or as much jostling by me!) I will use just the one piece of tape.

I WS my zucchini, usually in April (I guess not technically winter, but I use the method). I don't grow acorn squash, but if I did, I would try it by WSing. Never tried leeks, but again, would certainly try it by WSing.

Dee

o

When I used milk jugs I tried assorted ways to cut and close the jug. I tried a flap in the top half, with a piece of tape. Then cut the jug in half with a hinge, and used tape to close. Finally, I cut in half and punched holes in the top and bottom with a hole-punch, and used twist ties to close the jug.

All these techniques worked fine! The jug doesn't need to be sealed all the way around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here