Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Covering seedlings against ice?

Posted by carolinaflowerlover 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 17:18

We are expecting an ice storm/freezing rain/something over the next 24-36 hours. Rain started today about 11 am or so. I covered my seedlings, with tarps, around 12:00 or 12:30 pm today, as I lost a lot during our last ice storm a week ago.

My question is this: The threat of ice has diminished, though they are still calling for "freezing rain" and "freezing drizzle." The seedlings have already been covered for 5 hours. I figure I will keep them covered tonight, since the sun will set in a few hours. Do I need to uncover them for a few hours tomorrow to get some sunlight (although that will introduce more freezing rain, and it will be cloudy all day), or will they be okay if I keep them covered for a total of 36-48 hours?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Covering seedlings against ice?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 1:22

I think they should be fine covered for a couple of days, they won't suffer from lack of light in that amount of time. I've rolled plant carts with seedlings, young cuttings, along with my now 5 yr old zonal geranium into my dark unheated garage for as long as a week without setting things back when we've had a late winter, earliest Spring storm more than once, no harm done.

o

Thanks! I ended up uncovering them...it seemed the storm was pretty much done. However, it got crazy later yesterday. The loss is not terrible, but there is some damage. I am starting to realize our crazy ice storms are much worse than our rare snow storms. Thankfully, I planted lots. I also saved seeds on anything that I would be devastated at losing. This is my learning year. :)

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 10:53

Every year is a learning year ;) Always something new we may not have anticipated to surprise us.

o

Very true! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here