Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idafrances

warm/cold adaptations?

idafrances
15 years ago

Hi all,

First timer here, asking a question that I'm sure has been asked before (I've searched, but haven't had luck). We had some warm and sunny days a few weeks ago making the majority of my containers sprout. Then it got pretty cold (15-25 degrees) and gray. I checked on my babies today and some of the sprouts look dead...I followed the planting dates that were suggested for perennials and annuals.

Is this normal? Am I supposed to do something to protect them? I didn't think so, but now I'm regretting not doing anything.

Thanks for your time!

Comments (5)

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Well, different people do different things in this situation.

My tender annual salvia germinated [I sowed them too early] about 3 weeks ago. Since then sometimes we have day time in-the-sun temps of 55 and night temps of 20.

So it is a balancing act. During the day, if the sun is out and it is wrm I take their cover off. When it gets down to real cold like 20 at night, I put the regular cover on, which is a celephane bag with holes in it, plus I wrap a piece of plastic around all the Salvia sprouts.

One night I actually did all that, PLUS a row cover.
    Now that the night temp is going down to 40, I open them during the day, and at night, I put their regular cover on. No extra wrap.

I don't want to lose any. So far have not. Except lost one Yvonne Salvia. And my celosia seemed unhappy after one cold night (even tho I wrapped them too) but I think they are going to be ok.

What kind of sprouts?

ellen

• ollierose
    15 years ago

I ws'd some annuals too early this year and lost quite a few. HOWEVER, there were actually seeds in the containers that had NOT sprouted yet, so I still have some hope. I would say hold out and give them a little time. Also, be prepared with some white sheets or something should you get another cold snap like that. I know we're in very different zones, but we all go through a protection phase at some time or another. You should also make notes about your experience and perhaps adjust your sowing time next year for those items based on your experiences this year.

Be sure to post on the WS forum if you have a total loss of something and I'm sure that any of us fellow sw'ers will share some seeds if we have them!

It's my first year too, so I know what you're going through. Hang in there!

Diana

• idafrances
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to you both for your feedback. I thought that you could stick 'em outside, check the moisture, and let 'em be. I guess I'm too hands-off

ellenr: I've got lupine, hollyhock, foxglove, portulaca, herbs, morning glory, mexican hat, and I forget what else is out there...lots more.

ollierose: Thanks for the tip; people on this forum are so generous, it's nice to know you've got my back!

Thanks again,

idafrances aka Emily

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

As you continue gardening, you will observe how different annuals behave when cold weather strikes in your area. Some will take a while to get killed and some wilt with first breath of cold. I would not touch MG until mid April and would do many annuals indoor for the simple reason- yea, your milk container is a mini greenhouse and temps there are higher during the day and so is humidity, which allows seed to germinate better and more uniformly. At same time it does not protect from temps dropping down during the night.
    I do most of my annuals indoor as my season is short enough. I have had my pansies sitting under snow with no bad results though.
    I do not worry much about perennials hardy to my zone as seedlings usually fine. I say usually because there are some perennials that like to come up very late- they might not be comfortable with snow sitting on them.
    Anyway, I do know how hard to see your seedlings die but it is also better experience - now you know what is iffy in your area and what comes up as a champ.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

The containers will provide a couple of degrees of protection, so if the low is in the 28 - 30 degree range, the sprouts should be fine. If it is dropping into the low 20's or teens, move the sprouted containers, or cover them. I spent $12 in the fall on a 25' row cover. We went out of town Thursday with a cold snap in the forecast, so I folded the cover in half, placed it over the containers, and held it down with garden staples and rocks. The lows while we were gone were anywhere from 14 - 25 degrees. I just took a peek under the cover, and even the tender annuals look just fine.

I thought about moving them to the unheated garage before we left, but if they stayed in that environment for several days, then they would have to be hardened off, just like indoor sprouts, so I opted to try the cover, and I am VERY pleased. Definitely worth the money in my opinion!

Bonnie

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner