Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pghgardengirl

Zone 6-Anybody else getting sprouts?

pghgardengirl
11 years ago

I can't believe my wildflowers are sprouting!! Nothing else is but I am so excited that this works!

Comments (33)

• girlcat36
    11 years ago

I only have bachelor's buttons, ammi. and larkspur sprouted, and not very many of those.I am zone 6ish southern New England.
    I'm a little disappointed, but I'm sure they'll come along when they're ready.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

It's been freezing here forever. :( No sprouts yet.

Dee

• pghgardengirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know. It's still freezing here in SW PA, but I think maybe the sun is creating warm enough conditions in some of the containers. We even had snow a few days ago and the yard is still frozen mud. I was not expecting anything until April at the earliest. But notice it's the wildflowers..not the more domesticated stuff...guess that's why. . My bachelor buttons have not sprouted. Still exciting to see :0)

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Patience, pghgardengirl :) It's cold here, too, but I have a few sprouts like cosmos, strawflower and lettuce. I'm not sure why they've sprouted, but it might be because all but the lettuce are on a table off the ground and are maybe a bit warmer. Still, April is more usual for sprouts around here, and since we got a frost last night I'm glad most haven't sprouted. Too early to see yet, but I'm worried about the early sprouters.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

I'm just starting to get some. I was very worried, my past records show that I've had sprouts much earlier. My neighbor has a Forsythia bush, it doesn't even have buds.

• midmented
    11 years ago

No sprouts here yet (Western Maryland). It's been staying between 35 and 45 degrees the last week or so. I don't expect to see any sprouts for another 2-3 weeks. Congratulations though! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: DW's Blog

• latebloomerz6
    11 years ago

Pghgardebgirl, It is interesting. The only native that has sprouted for me is Jacob's Ladder. Yet I have several non-native sprouts. These are the sprouts which jumped up in anticipation of spring (before March 20):

Baby Blue Eyes
    Perennial Alyssum
    Impatiens Balfourii
    Penstemon -Cambridge Mix
    Blue Flax
    Anise Hyssop
    Maltese Cross
    Trimix Alpine Aster
    Indian Spring Mix Hollyhock
    Jacob's Ladder
    Gaillardia Mesa Yellow
    Baby's Breath
    Cabbage
    Broccoli
    Buttercrunch Lettuce
    Dahlia
    Marigold Queen Sophia
    Cosmos

We are supposed to have 8-9 inches of snow tomorrow.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

yea pgh, I have a bunch sprouting and now we got hit with snow and ice. I am just leaving them alone and see what happens.

• emcd124
    11 years ago

I'm in Z5 so a bit of an interloper, but here we have barely had any time above freezing. 40 degrees is starting to feel positively balmy ;)

Of the 30+ containers sown, the only one with sprouts so far is the mesculun lettuce mix at my son's preschool wintersowing project...and that is one I've been seed saving, so it is probably casually selected for seed that succeeds under WS conditions.

• casey1gw
    11 years ago

I didn't believe I would have spouts because the snow just receeded herebut I checked anyway. I have geranium pyrenaicum and penstemon hartwegii coming up.

• midmented
    11 years ago

sprouts:
    Cabbage, Broccoli, and Iceberg lettuce.
    They just sprouted Tuesday. I was very surprised given we had snow!

• proudgm_03
    11 years ago

I have a few sprouting. Just stuck my finger down in one of my bottles and it is warm and toasty in there even though it is only 45 degrees.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Quite a few things up now and all seemed to have survived the snow we got Monday, even one container of marigolds.

• molie
    11 years ago

Just ran out in the rain to check--- Agastache, nada. But I actually see that 2 of the Alcea (Old Farmhouse variety of Hollyhocks) pots have leaves and there are teeny little green things in my pots of Bellis and Gloriosa Daisy!

But nothing from my 'Cherry Brandy' Rudbeckia --- that's the one I'm really anxious to see.

I did pot up some annuals inside and wonder now how long I'll have to wait to put them out for a bit. The days have not been warm, but I guess I shouldn't complain because we've had no snow here in a while.

Molie

• midmented
    11 years ago

I looked in the marigold containers last night. No sprouts.

• emcd124
    11 years ago

whee! I have tiny visible green in my leaf lettuce containers, and I have roots emerging from my flax. Because flax is surface sown I can see them, and its giving me hope that the other seeds that are too small or covered with potting mix are also putting out roots and will poke their heads up soon. Sadly nothing on the toms yet, which is what i'm most impatient for!

• smarmyclothes
    11 years ago

I've got Lupine sprouts. WOOHOO!!

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

I checked today, I am Psyched I got Delphinum sprouts! The green wave is starting to make its prescence!
    Snowy Golden Eye,
    Coreopsis "Madi Gras", Plains, Roulette, Mexican Hat
    Maltese Cross, Lovage, Dill, & Fennel.

For the most part, the containers are still very cold!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Still nuthin'....

:)
    Dee

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Still nuthin'....

:)
    Dee

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Double posted somehow. I'm really not that impatient that I checked for sprouts every two minutes!

But just in case you were wondering... *still* nuthin, lol.

Dee

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    11 years ago

Another zone 5er sneaking in...
    After a hard cold winter I was surprised to find sprouts on 3/23. Feverfew and Achillea. 3/28 I found Foxglove and Painted Daisies are up.
    Even though I've been wintersowing for several years I'm always excited to see these little sprouts.

• girlcat36
    11 years ago

They only thing that has changed for me is that I got a couple hollyhock sprouts.....and much to my diasappointment there are no new sprouts in the jugs that have already feebly sprouted. So I out of 30 jugs, only 5 have sprouted.
    I had them sitting on a wooden deck, then I got the idea that maybe the ground would be warmer than the wood of the deck, so I moved them to a pine needly mulched area with more sun a few days ago, but nothing has changed.

I'm getting a little worried; wondering if I used bad soil, or covered the seeds too much, or not enough, OR did not collect seeds at the proper stage last fall.

Teresa

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

I'm getting a fair amount of sprouts from the jugs I put on the patio table, but the ones that went onto the stone garden path are not doing much at all. They're also the ones on which I used Scotch duct tape that did not hold at all so the containers pretty much were open through the cold and all. Don't buy Scotch brand duct tape -- it's terrible.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Something! Something! I've got something, lol!

Saw some tiny sprouts in my jug of lettuce this morning. Yay!

Dee

• girlcat36
    11 years ago

Yay, Dee!!!! I'm glad you finally got something!

So today I moved some of my pots BACK to the wood deck, and then I put some on top of the metal lid to our firepit. The jugs sitting on the pine needle mulch were awfully cold on the bottoms.
    It probably won't make any difference, anyway. They will sprout when they are ready, I guess.....unless I did something stupid when I sowed the seeds.

Teresa

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

I've only sown 7 jugs and a few cups of tomatoes this year. I found sprouts in rud hirta a few days ago. It's the only one.

Rud hirta a usually my first to sprout, usually much earlier in March.

The weather man promised a major warm-up next week, the second week of April.

Karen

• kirchren
    11 years ago

I have some lettuce sprouts in my wintersown jugs outside. I was so thrilled to see that over the weekend!!
    Karen

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

I'm getting sprouts, too. Slowly but surely, they're germinating :-).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• emcd124
    11 years ago

I still have nothing on things I thought I'd see by now, including edibles (spinach, spinach mustard, mache) and for flowers the only things up are flax and red rock cress, so still no baby blue eyes, rud hurt etc. But as of this weekend my first tomato is sprouted! Go chocolate cherry!!

To date, sprouts: dill, chocolate cherry tom, lettuce, red rock cress, flax.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

We had two-days of 80+ temps, I got sprouts everywhere! I was excited to see the fuji apple seeds sprout, but don't know where I am going to plant them.

Now it's cold again.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Cold is relative, Ladyrose :) Even today when it's rainy and gray it's warmer than it was last week. And back to the 70s by early next week. The tomatoes are starting to pop up -- a couple of Amish Paste, and when I opened one of the containers that had four varieties it turns out I didn't imagine the Florida Pink, it was just way back in the corner near the handle so it was hard to see with just a quick look. Still waiting on a bunch of varieties, but I'm more optimistic than I was last week.

• smarmyclothes
    11 years ago

As of Saturday I had Columbine sprouts in addition to the Lupine. Yay!

Sponsored