Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenweed_z6a

Sprouts but too tired to scream it

gardenweed_z6a
13 years ago

Hi - I checked my containers today and have lupine sprouts just starting in several jugs.

First sprouts of 2011: Lupine Minarette, Russell Hybrids, & Acadia National Park

{{gwi:367907}}

{{gwi:367908}}

{{gwi:367909}}

The stuff on the soil surface that looks like rock salt is actually bird grit--I use it to hold the seeds against the surface of the medium. Probably don't need it but it worked last year and I live by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule/philosophy.

My cellar has been flooded the past 9 days with no let-up in sight. Water seeps through the foundation every night overnight. Every morning (afternoons on weekdays when I get home from work) I get the pump going but have to monitor it--it sits on the floor in the water but doesn't have an automatic shut-off. The hose runs out the door so I have to pull that inside before dark so I can lock up. The flooding has put a real damper on my winter sowing sprout anticipation.

Please - nobody wish me the green wave until my cellar is dry. The idea of more water makes me slightly nauseous.

Comments (16)

• sjc48
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your sprouts! Doing the Dance for you, hope your flooding issues are over with soon!
    Shirley!

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

"Here's part of a little song for you" (this is not a religious intent. I Love Judy Garland and this song.) It's Snappy and Happy!

"Forget your troubles c'mon get happy,
    you better chase all your cares away.

Shout hallejulah c'mon get happy
    get ready for the judgement day.

the sun is shinin c'mon get happy,
    the lord is waitin to take your hand.
    shout hallejulah c'mon get happy,
    we're going to the promise land

We're headin across the river to
    wash your sins away in the tide.
    it's all so peaceful on the other side.

Forget your troubles c'mon get happy,
    you better chase all your cares away.
    shout hallejulah c'mon get happy,
    get ready for the judgement day."

"Get Happy" by Judy Garland

• v1rt
    13 years ago

Awesome! Will I still get sprouts from my lupine if I only wsowed them today?

• ldsluder
    13 years ago

WOW!! Great photos - nice timing on the pictures of germination!!!!

Doing the happy dance with you!!! Hoorah for Sprouts!!

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

good luck with the draining! we are getting excessive rain too-- i am a little worried that the creek is going to get high enough to wash the kitchen away! hope you dry out soon!

• LilBlossom
    13 years ago

Congratulations! :o)

• tempusflits
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your sprouts, and may all your future water come in the form of gentle showers.

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Oh Eileen,I am so sorry to hear this,I bet you are just plum wore out, that is a lot to deal with.
    I hope you do not get any more rain for awhile,give things a chance to dry up a bit.
    I will have to check my containres tomorrow,in spite of the bad news, I am happy you have a few sprouts,and I hope more will wait!
    cAROL

• dorothy4981
    13 years ago

Best wishes for a dry basement flying your way on angel wings!

Dorothy (Meadows)

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Eileen, so sorry about the flooding. I hope it doesn't make you dread the next day. Here's to clear,dry skies for you.

Bev

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'd say all your good wishes brought a tear to my eye but it would be wet and I've had about all the wet I can deal with for the next little while.

I'll post more pictures of sprouts as I take them but for the next few days all I want to see is dry cellar concrete. If it weren't for great neighbors who pitched in to help, I'd be on the highway hitchhiking with a sign looking for a ride to Nevada or Arizona.

Neil - those lupine seeds might do fine in your zone 5 but they like cold so I can't guarantee you'll see sprouts this year. The ones I have that sprouted were WS back in December/January.

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

Our basement floods every year, I feel for ya!

I'm still going to dance for you!

Yipeeeeeeeeee sprouts!!!

• ymaddox
    13 years ago

ladyrose i dont think you have to apologize for religous intent...nothing wrong with being a jesus freak...i am :)!!!

• bettyd_z7_va
    13 years ago

Gardenweed,

I'm in zone 7 and just ordered my lupin seed night before last. Are you serious? I really might not see any sprouts until next year?

Sniff...Sniff...I'm gonna cry!

Our son planted some lupin seed - in ground - one year and they grew and flowered the same year.

Betty (Who is hoping my seed bloom this year)

• terrene
    13 years ago

Hey, I have Lupine sprouts too! They were sown back in December, and the containers just emerged from under a snow pile. These are hardy little buggers.

V1 and Betty, I also just sowed Lupine seeds this past weekend, but soaked them before sowing. I boiled some water, poured it over the seeds, and soaked them in it for 24 hours. The water will cool down, which is okay. You can also nick the seed coat, rub them with coarse sandpaper, or cold stratify in the fridge. All of these techniques supposedly allow the seed coat to soften faster, and the embryo inside can swell and break through sooner. We'll see if it works!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Neil, only a couple types of lupin need an extended chill before they will germinate - most of the others are fine sown with no chill at all. That hard seed coat can be a little slow to take in water though, results in finding germination anywhere from 1 week to 8 weeks if you sowed this late without soaking.

Betty, some but not all types will bloom first year, it depends on which lupin you ordered.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio