No...I need more soil or stop WSing?

Of Course...Of Course!

• dorothy4981
    13 years ago

Don't stop - if you got 'em - sow 'em!

Dorothy (Meadows)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I want the rain to stop and the sun to come out!! Then again I have so much to do that I have yet to start, uh oh!!

Anyone figure out how to clone a person yet?? lol

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you've still got seeds, why stop?

The water in my cellar put an abrupt stop to my WS so it looks as though whatever is already sowed is what I'll be trying to find homes for this year. I've got a nice variety of perennials WS in nearly 300 jugs which ought to give me plenty to choose from when I start the 2011 great plant-out.

Three bales of growers mix was just about perfect for the number of jugs I WS this time. I put a full 4 inches in each jug to give the seedlings plenty of soil for their roots. I made a mental note to buy 3 more bales of mix in August so it's dry, not frozen & ready to use when WS season rolls around again.

While the soil warms up I've been drawing each of the garden bed plantings on graph paper to help me achieve the cottage garden look I have in my head. It's so much more fun drawing in the perennials without hearing ka-ching or getting a cramp in my wallet!!

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you've still got seeds, why stop?

The water in my cellar put an abrupt stop to my WS so it looks as though whatever is already sowed is what I'll be trying to find homes for this year. I've got a nice variety of perennials WS in nearly 300 jugs which ought to give me plenty to choose from when I start the 2011 great plant-out.

Three bales of growers mix was just about perfect for the number of jugs I WS this time. I put a full 4 inches in each jug to give the seedlings plenty of soil for their roots. I made a mental note to buy 3 more bales of mix in August so it's dry, not frozen & ready to use when WS season rolls around again.

While the soil warms up I've been drawing each of the garden bed plantings on graph paper to help me achieve the cottage garden look I have in my head. It's so much more fun drawing in the perennials without hearing ka-ching or getting a cramp in my wallet!!

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Eileen, I envy you,I only have a vauge idea of where I will be planting things.You are so dedicated to your planning,am I lazy????
    No sprouts for me yet,still waiting.
    Wayne brought me in 5 more bags of soil, to thaw out, now I can get ready for annuals and veggies.
    Am I ready for spring,Yes!
    cAROL

• LilBlossom
    13 years ago

YES, I'm ready! I have been ready since Jan 1st! Or probably before that! I swear, we need to more further south!

And no, I haven't sown all I want to sow yet, but I'd rather take spring, thank you very much!

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

I just bought another bale of Pro-mix the other day....

I can't wait to start sowing annuals and veggies.

So in five days does that mean it switches to spring sowing?

• ellenrr
    13 years ago

No Carol,
    You're not lazy - just impulsive. :)

I have noticed there are garden planners and then there are those of us who plunk something down somewhere bec. it "feels right".
    Which is why I do a lot of moving.
    I call it intuitive gardening.

One of my favorite garden moments is when I have a new plant, or sprouts, and I stand in the garden, and I see what spot calls me.

The only thing I have become more deliberate about is that I realized how effective banks of one flower can be - and doing WS'ing I can afford many - sometimes I plan that.

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

cAROL - I'll be happy to send you a copy of my pencil drawing of my flower bed. In the winter cold & dark it's easy enough to draw little circles on paper and put a number in them, then write the key at the edge of the paper: each number = 1 type of perennial. Will my flowerbeds ever look like the drawing? Hah, ha, ha, ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. That's a hoot! Chances are slim to none since when it comes time to plant out, I won't be able to find the drawing and I'll just plunk 'n run like everybody else.

I call it intuitive gardening

ellenrr - I love that and plan to integrate it into my garden plan! (;-p)

gardenunusual - not sure about the spring sowing switchover--hopefully someone with more experience will post a comment.

• tomva
    13 years ago

yep
    {{gwi:368047}}

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

tomva, you can come do mine net :D

ellen, intuitive gardening-- LOVE it!

i too have no idea where these plants are going to go! i am trying to plan but feel like i am counting my seedlings before they sprout

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

I "Sort Of " know where I will be placing things,I know I will be planting several different flowers together,accourding to color combo,a very small clue, as to height,and I know I want 5 or 10 of each, close to each other,other than that,I will be plunking, and running.
    I do love the phrase," Intutive Gardening " that is me in a nut shell, won't this be fun, to see how all our gardens look this summer.I need to learn how to post pictures.
    Thank you Eileen,but I will wait and see you garden
    when it is ready.Hows the basement cleanup coming along?I wish you well.
    cAROL

• bettyd_z7_va
    13 years ago

Tom,

I have to ask......where do you live?

NO - I am not a stalker, I live in Central Va, too! I'm
    about halfway between Richmond and Roanoke.

Howdy Neighbor!

I just WSed my first 9 containers today.

DH asked me what I sowed and I was naming all of these flowers and he said, "I figured you had started some tomatoes or something for the vegetable garden and all you planted was flowers?"

So, I'm going to WS some tomatoes and veggies when I get home from work this morning.

Since I'm so late getting started, is there anything that I need to wait to sow, or can I WS everything now?

Betty

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

I haven't done a thing in my yard yet. It's supposed to be near 70 degrees today. I plan to get my front porch cleaned up for summer, scrub the porch swing and the rest of the furniture, hose down the floors and walls, etc. The yard will have to wait. A nice place to sit and enjoy the nice warm weather is my priority :-) Cleaning up the back deck will be second priority.

The only thing I plan to do in the yard is put out slug bait. In reality, my soil is too wet to do anything yet. I don't even want to walk thru the yard, it's just too wet. And more rain possible tonight and tomorrow.

Karen

• tomva
    13 years ago

Betty,I live in the Fredericksburg area north of Richmond and south of D.C.I couldnt tell you if its too late on what,Im sure some things might need a long cold and warm cycle but Im not sure of what,I always start at the end of Dec. with that said there are a lot of things you can still do now and veggies are one of them along with lots of flowers:)Howdy neighbor..

• bettyd_z7_va
    13 years ago

Thanks Tom,

We were in the Fredericksburg area last fall for a Antique Rose lovers meet and greet.

Don't forget to post pictures of your WSed goodies once they have gotten settled in that wonderful garden area you've prepared.

Betty

• ellenrr
    13 years ago

Thanks for reminding me.

Do you know, after starting to count the days til Spring back when there were 63 - I actually forgot that the official date is here!
    Spring has come even without the calendar - but - I will celebrate.

• LilBlossom
    13 years ago

Hurray! Since I sowed 17 containers yesterday, they JUST count as wintersown. :oP I can't believe that spring is FINALLY here. This has been one LONG, horrible winter.

• tempusflits
    13 years ago

I can't believe spring is finally here! I am so ready. I've spent the last couple of days clearing out over-grown bushes. I enjoyed the work in the sunshing and fresh air. But it will be "funner" when it's time to put the WS flowers out. Happy gardening, everyone.

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ain't it grand!?! I'm SO ready for spring to push away the memories of 7 ft. of snow blanketing the earth, howling winds blowing the snow into huge drifts that buried my WS containers and 15 ft. icicles pulling on my gutters. I'm ready for daffodils and crocus and snowdrops, lupines, irises, hyacinths and hellebores, columbine, candytuft and tulips.

Woohoo!!! Spring is here at last!!!!

I'm ready to trade this:

{{gwi:359903}}
    for this:

{{gwi:197592}}

• terrene
    13 years ago

Me too - it was a long horrible winter. Thank goodness it let up in February. Didn't think it would happen, but I can actually see the ground in most of the back garden and back yard. :)

Happy Spring everybody! Yippeeee!

• tomva
    13 years ago

great time a day,I always enjoy your pics gardenweed

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Tom!! So do I, so do I! Yours reminded me of my dad's vegetable garden--long rows of tilled earth full of yummy promise just waiting for the seeds. He always let us kids pick a vegetable to grow each season, then he'd teach us how to grow, tend, weed & harvest it. Oh yeah, and to pick ALL the stones out of the rocky CT soil as we went! (;-p)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

My pictures aren't as great as yours gardenweed but here you go till yours comes in bloom!!

Taken this morning, me and a bee had it out already today. The little tiny honeybees are out and I have been barefooted in my garden already, so it won't be long for you!!

{{gwi:368048}}

Up close of a wonderful smelling hyacinth!! The smell is still in my nose as I am posting this, yummm!!

{{gwi:368049}}

Oh by the way as you can see in the first picture I seriously have way to many muscari bulbs if anyone would like some for postage PLEASE let me know!! They are purple/ blue, grape muscari hyacinth.

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Happy Spring My Friends.
    Hard to believe it is here eh.It is raining here to day.
    A soft quiet rain, one where you just wanna curl up with a hot cup, a blankie,and day dream of your garden.
    I also worked in the yard yesterday,man, am I out of shape, just a few hours of raking,and huling, wore me out,ha ha
    Sortof happy it is raining today,ha ha
    """No sprouts for me yet""" boowhooo
    cAROL

• karendee
    13 years ago

I am a plunker....for sure.
    this year my plan is to place containers near where I will plant them to save time come spring hos planting time.

I have to move a bunch of agastche this year. I sowed it 2 years ago as a newbie and It was taller than i thought and looks stupid near the front of one of my beds.

No sprouts for me either but I did just start late Feb so I am ok with this.

Today there is a nice rain so I sowed a handfull of containers and did not water them. They are getting watered by mother nature. It was very LAZY sowing on my part and I loved it. (I checked and they seem to be waterd just fine by the rain)

Karen

• lily55rjw
    13 years ago

I'm ready!!! I got my first sprouts today! Lupine!!! There are 2 sprouts in there already and I think my Bleeding Hearts will be next as they are looking quite chubby!!! I am so excited and I am and have been, doing the happy dance! I don't know how to post pics on here but I do have a garden FB account. Feel free to add me and look at my pics!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden FB profile/account

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

Happy Spring! Everyone!

Sponsored