Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden fleece?

Posted by lovesblooms z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 18:23

I'm wondering if it may be less trouble to take the plastic covers off my sprouted containers (nearly 2 dozen now) and cover the lot with a sheet of garden fleece instead. I figure this way I can lift the cover and get a look at all the containers at once instead of pulling on and off plastic baggies. Drawbacks to this method, anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden fleece?

What's garden fleece? Does it let in the sun? And does it blow away? Or get wet? It does sound much easier. Or, could you just leave the tops off? Most things that are growing already can stand a bit of frost or light freeze.

Martha

o

Martha, garden fleece is my scientific term for a type row cover that's meant to use to protect frost-tender plants or winter crops because it's kind of thick--reminds me of fabric interfacing, and it comes in a roll. I used it last year to keep my tomatoes, peppers and eggplants from getting too cold during our unusually cool, late spring last year. I didn't know about wintersowing then, and all of them had been started indoors. It worked quite well; I didn't lose a plant. It does let sun and rain in. I may try it, since I've grouped the sprouted containers in one spot--I'll just drape a sheet of it over the group and anchor it down at the edges. As you said, these aren't really frost-tender plants, but I'm just sick of taking on and off all the individual covers.

o

I'd leave any tops off that can tolerate the frost, but use the "fleece" on everything else. There's no reason to cut down on the sun exposure if they can take the cold. Sounds like it would minimize the work of putting covers on and off. Let us know how it works.

Martha

o

I was interested to see lovesblooms use the term 'garden fleece'. I thought for a moment it was a fellow Brit posting because that's what we call it over here. I believe it's known as Reemay in the US?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here