Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livsauntieshel

My WS sprouts..so far

livsauntieshel
13 years ago

So, it hit 65 degrees here today, shooo it was beautiful. Supposed to be even nicer tomorrow. Here's my sprouts, so far...

First, here's all my jugs. Sprouted jugs on the right, unsprouted on the left. None of the cups have sprouted yet, the ones on sprout side are there for wind protection.

{{gwi:368355}}From Winter sowing 2011

Next- today's lupine sprouts...

{{gwi:368356}}From Winter sowing 2011

And convolvulus...

{{gwi:368357}}From Winter sowing 2011

And today's surprise sprouts...Blue Fescue

{{gwi:368358}}From Winter sowing 2011

And some peas...

{{gwi:368359}}From Winter sowing 2011

And come alyssum, probably carpet of snow...

{{gwi:368360}}From Winter sowing 2011

That's all for now. More pics if you follow the links, thanks for looking :)

Comments (17)

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Awwwww!! What sweet little sprouts! Congratulations on all your littl'ns--may they grow into big, healthy bloomers.

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

Beautiful sprouts... congrats!! Doing the Green WaVe! :-)

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

What sweet little darlings! Congratulations!

• livsauntieshel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys! :) It was so nice out today, I spent the whole day outside, just not really messing with my jugs. It was a spring preview, 77 degrees and S-U-N-N-Y! At 11, it was still 66 out. We were in shorts with the top off the Jeep all day. Ol Ma Nature can be cruel. Tomorrow's going to be mid 50's at best.

• livsauntieshel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My April update:
    These are my unsprouted jugs...
    {{gwi:368361}}From Winter sowing 2011

And these are my sprouted jugs....
    {{gwi:368362}}From Winter sowing 2011

Most lupines have been planted out, this size or larger:
    {{gwi:368363}}From Winter sowing 2011

Convovulus have outgrown their lids...
    {{gwi:368364}}From Winter sowing 2011

And my one teeny tiny canna sprout. Looks like the other one in the bottle is thinking about sprouting too.
    {{gwi:368365}}From Winter sowing 2011

More pics if you follow the links, thanks for looking!

• tomva
    12 years ago

your gonna be very very busy,looks great..

• livsauntieshel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks tom, yes, I agree, very busy. I have lots more jugs and seed, but I stopped sowing..because yeah, I don't know where I'm going to put everything I have going now. I put in new beds last year, which I could expand but ugh makes me tired just thinking of it. Probably will have to though, and I'll enjoy it when it's done!

• jodie74
    12 years ago

NICE PICS!

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

livsauntieshel-awesome pics! How many seeds of convolvulus did you plant per container? Mine are looking pale compared to yours! I can't wait for them to fill out a bit more.

• livsauntieshel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I think I put 10 or more per bottle. I was a little heavy handed with my sowing. We had some snowy cold days after they sprouted, so some may have died off, but you'd never know it by looking at them now. The roots on those puppies are really impressive too!

• pippi21
    12 years ago

I planted out my cherry morella lupines out in the flowerbed last week and they must be tender perennials..they are not there now..Lesson learned..for next year. Next year I will use a gal milk jug too..mine weren't that big. We have had so much rain the last two months and it just started raining again..not even my carpet of snow alyssum is doing well this year. Unless they are HOS, the plants seems very spindley. I'm not sure if I kept some of the cherry morella lupine seeds back or not. Will look..if not use up the blue lupine seeds that I kept back.

• dieg01991
    12 years ago

Wow, look at those sprouts!! I love seeing other's pictures! :-) You are several weeks ahead of us here in Minnesota. We're still rainy/snowy and cold. But I have 26 containers sprouting as of yesterday! Can't wait to start planting this stuff out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's my latest list of sprouts

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    12 years ago

Pippi, I've had nothing but trouble with lupine. I just planted out about eight of them yesterday and I have my fingers crossed. I read somewhere that they like bad soil -- if so they're in trouble in my garden because I see earthworms with every shovelful of dirt.

Caryl

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Caryl - I can vouch for the lupines preferring bad soil. Mine do well but my soil is like yours, full of fat earthworms. Next door's soil is nothing but sand & rocks and her lupines are twice the size of mine with multiple flower spikes when they bloom that remain upright and don't flop in wind/rain. I'm trying lupine in a spot on my south foundation where the soil is a little rocky so we'll see what happens.

• jodie74
    12 years ago

I SOOOOOO want my lupines to grow! My soil is great cause it's brand new bedding mix. Is there a way I can make it "bad" soil that the lupines will thrive in?

Add peat moss? Extra sand?

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Wow...! Congratulations! Gorgeous sprouts!

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Jodie, I'm planning to build a raised portion in a new bed I'm going to eventually build whenever this rain stops, to add in top soil mixed with sand and maybe a little bit of fine gravel for the plants I've winter sown that like poor soil, including the lupine (which I'm very disappointed in, I only got two sprouts out of twelve seeds!). My yard is clay and holds water like a sponge, so a raised bed for these plants is the only way to go for me. I have a forty by ten foot area on the south side of our new garage which I'm going to plant, and I think about a quarter of it, maybe a little more, is going to be a raised bed about a foot or so high. I was going to use landscape stone to build it, but that would cost me an arm and a leg, so I may build it using railroad ties, if I can find some. The RR ties will give it a rustic look, I think. If I can't find any, then I'll use landscape timbers. That's what I'm going to attempt to do. Don't know if it'll work, but we'll see.

Karen

Sponsored