Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyrose65

Delphinium Seedlings. Would like to see Picts.

ladyrose65
13 years ago

I'm not sure, but I think, I have a Delphinium sprout. Would like to see pictures of Delphinum seedlings.

If you grow them, what type of soil? Full sun/partial shade. I have rather abused these plants, in the past.

Comments (12)

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

ladyrose65 - this is the only picture I have of the delphinium sprouts I grew via WS last year:

{{gwi:368392}}

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Ladyrose, are you wanting before the true leaves or with true leaves??

I have a few delphinium that have sprouted this week. If you want some smaller pictures I will try to get a shot tomorrow as it is already dark here tonight. That is if someone else doesn't show another pic.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Gardenweed for the picture!

Carolyn, I would like to see pics before true leaves. I put it in cups with Strawberry Fresca seed.

I got some sprouts, def. not Lupine.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Ladyrose, here is a few sites till I can get pictures this evening. I may be able to get out there before I leave today but just in case here you go for the time being.

Delphinium seedling image it will be in the last row in the first column.

Here is another one

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter sown. org seedling images

• norabelle
    13 years ago

Delphiniums like a more alkaline soil. I have read on some of the forums here that members have put pieces of blackboard chalk into the soil next to their delphs.

Delphs also do NOT like intense heat. If you have hot summers, it is better to plant them where they get morning sun and are more shaded/protected from intense afternoon sun. If you do have very hot or muggy summer temps, the delphs will go dormant until it is cooler.

I am in Wisconsin, and my summer temps aren't terribly hot, but we can get some days in the 90s. My delphs are all planted on the east side of our house where they get direct sun until about 1. After the first flush of blooms in June, I cut them back, and I get a second flush, though not as tall, in late August/early September.

They are also susceptible to powdery mildew. I see this more on the second growth during the summer.

Good luck with your delphs! What kinds do you have? They are wonderful plants and worth a little extra attention with staking and a little fertilizer in May.

cheers,
    Norabelle

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carolyn, thanks for the sites.

Norabele, thank you for the growing information. I sowed Magic Fountains, Belladona Mix and Connecticut Yankee Mix.
    I live in a very high Humid area. This will explain why I had so much trouble with them in the past. (Bought from Nurseries). They would die back to nothing.

• norabelle
    13 years ago

Ladyrose,

I think the Magic Fountains are much easier and more forgiving regarding temperature and humidity than the more traditional (i.e. full size) delphs. I have also had good luck with Connecticut Yankee, too. I also have Pacific Giants in different colors. I don't think I have tried the Belladona Mix, but I regularly plant about seven or eight different types delph seeds.

Based purely on anecdote and personal experience, the delphs I have winter sowed have always done better than the delphs I used to buy at a nursery. I don't know if it is because they spend all of their growing time in my soil and climate or what. I hope you have the same experience with your delphs. In addition, I can easily grow 60 delphs from seed for $3, and if only 30 make it that is much better than a single $14 delph plant from a nursery that dies in a year.

I have more delphs than I can handle in my yard. I give them away and grow them every year. They are by far one of my most favorite plants and one of the reasons I love winter sowing so much.

cheers,
    Norabelle

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

As promised just a day late, sorry bout that yesterday was a long day and it was raining horribly when I got home and I was to dog gone tired to get out there.

On the left is delphinium blue mirror on the right is larkspur giant imperial mix.

{{gwi:368393}}

Alpine strawberry just starting to get a few true leafs.

{{gwi:226419}}

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You Carolyn, for the Pictures. Wow, your sprouts are coming along nicely.

Cordially,
    Ladyrose65

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

If they don't sprout this spring, hold onto your container. I had some that didn't sprout until after we had a cold period in the fall. Since they had been ws early they had already had one cold period. Kept the container just in case one or more might still germinate. Was surprised to see the container filled with sprouts.

Delphiniums have been short lived perennials for me, seldom living more than three years. Now I collect seeds from my plants and ws some each year.

Deadheading will help keep them blooming. When the foliage gets looking bad or if they get powdery mildew I cut them back for new growth and rebloom.

Love these beautiful plants.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. on Delphinuims. I'm really looking forward for them to sprout! Today, the Foxglove sprouted, psyched. The possibility of having more than 2 plants, is a bit of a Thrill...

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sandra, post your question about the Delphinum's because I got only 1 sprout out of many.

Sponsored