Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody do this?

Posted by barb_roselover_in (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 19:13

I haven't always had the best luck with my containers and especially since I am alone now, I don't want to attempt with the weather and snow we have been having, plus all of the wind drifts, etc. I wonder how it would be if I put containers in my little unheated greenhouse once all of this snow has melted. I know I would have to check the moisture, but is this do-able?Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody do this?

In winter sowing we want the containers to be in the elements bec. this is what produces hardy plants.

but seems to me your idea should work, sorta being between growing indoors, and winter sowing.

can't say I have tried it, interested to see if anyone has

o

I think that's okay. Just be sure to keep the containers moist (not sopping wet) and if you can I would put the greenhouse in part sun so it doesn't get too warm. The elements are good because Nature provides the light, moisture and temperatures required for the seed to germinate and it's so easy. Nature does the work.

But there are variations. Last year I sowed some Magnolia grandiflora seeds. In general southern Magnolia is not a very hardy species, although these seeds came from a tree in the Arnold Arboretum in Boston zone 6b. So for insurance I sowed 4 containers - put 2 in the garage (so the seeds wouldn't freeze) and 2 out in the elements. The garage is cold like a refrigerator all winter and I kept the containers moist, watered about 1x per month, so they got cold stratification.

Lo and behold, I got 3 sprouts in the containers in the garage, but none in the containers outside. I think the seeds froze.

I would give the green house a try!

o

Barb,
Just remember that your unheated greenhouse can be really warm inside. So keep an eye on the temperature as well as the moisture.

Best of luck!!

o

Barb,

I have been greenhouse growing for a couple of years now. I do it in cups like winter sowing but they go in the greenhouse instead of under plastic. They get the cold period they require and once or twice during the spring thaws, I shovel snow onto the cups for water.

I do the same with hardy/half hardy annuals, no heat just moist cups out in the winter. I add in the tenders around April 1st and I heat this one to around 65 degrees at night.

As soon as it warms up a bit, I just take the hose to them daily for water.

I have had great results, try it, it will work great. It's a lot less work than all those milk jugs too.

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here