Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just1morehosta

Peas In a Pot

just1morehosta
13 years ago

Hi guys,

I want to WS some sweet snap peas,my garden will not be ready til April,so, I was thinking,I would like to sow them in a large pot,can any one tell me how deep the pot must be,as I have No idea how deep,how big the roots will grow,and I am assuming, they will not like to be transplanted.

Thanks for you help,

cAROL

Comments (11)

• PVick
    13 years ago

I planted my peas in a 12" deep pot which had a 2" reservoir at the bottom. The roots were not that big, just a lot of fine roots. And I did transplant them from their seeding containers with no problem.

PV

• tempusflits
    13 years ago

The gardening book I have says peas need a minimum of 8 inches of soil to grow in. So if you want to grow them in a container for the duration of the pea growing season, I'd use a pot that was at least 10 inches deep.

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you,I was thinking of using a big pot that you might grow a tree in.
    A couple of seeds in each pot, will yeild how many peas?
    Or, not a good idea to put a couple in each pot.
    Sorry for so many questions, if I was going to plant in ground, I would just make a long row,as you can tell, I do not know what I am doing.:0)
    cAROL

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

Hi there.

If you're going to be planting in a pot that's about 12" around and 12" deep, I would try putting 5 in each pot. 4 around with 1 in the middle.

Many people seem to be concerned with wasting seeds, but I would rather plant too many than too few. If the plants get too big I'd think you have 3 options. Stake them so they can almost spill toward the edges, use a tomato cage in the pot to hold the plants apart (put the cage in the pot early before the plants are very big), or if they're too crowded, pull one out.

I like to experiment to see what works and what doesn't.

As far as yield goes, someone else may have a better idea. If I remember correctly, the 10 or so plants I had last year, provided me each morning with about 15 pods to eat as I wandered the garden, plus we had peas for dinner a few times.

Hope this helps.

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

Sorry, one more thing.

If you want peas for a longer time, plant more every two weeks or so.

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you nutsaboutflowers.
    This is very helpful,I will do as you suggested. :0)
    Hubby does not like peas, but I love them.yum
    can't wait to get them going.
    Thanks a lot.
    cAROL

• floodthelast
    13 years ago

I like those for stir fry or snacking. I usually do them in a bucket, the kitty litter square kind. I have planted eight in a container. My yield have not been great though, I think I need to add compost. Maybe two dinners worth of stir fry.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Regarding the yield of peas, you actually need quite a lot of plants to get a worthwhile number of pickings. I am giving a link to the Beans, peas and legumes forum where this has been discussed. As a guide line for how much space peas need, a 3 foot length of row would contain about 75 plants. I have just sown my first row of peas and they are 2 - 3 inches apart in a band 6 inches wide. The row is 15 feet long. In 2 or 3 weeks I will put in another row the same and later on another. This is for 2 people for fresh peas between late May and July.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pea yield

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

Carol, how many were you thinking of planting? I bought a pack, but, I don't have that much room? Would like to know what would be a good average of plants.

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ladyrose,I don't know,I am waiting for my seeds to get here, to see how many are in a pack.I have not grown peas since my children were small,Very Small, ha ha
    From what I am reading, you don't need a lot of room,and you do not get many from one plant.
    I forget your FB name.remind me will you,:0)
    cAROL

• floodthelast
    13 years ago

I planted two bucket fulls last year. I think I will skip them this year though I liked them very much. I'm making room for beans instead. : )

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022