Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaggudada

So what do you WS?

jaggudada
13 years ago

I know you can WS many things but what do people really WS? I have heard a lot about tomatoes, what about eggplants? beans? peas? lettuce? , spinach? broccoli,cucumber? carrots etc etc

Is there no advantage with some vegetables such as beans and peas which only grows when the weather is warm and days to mature is 60-70 days so even if you directly sowed them outside you will still be fine.

Comments (4)

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

You can WS anything that reseeds in a temperate climate, of which some are veggies. Cold season veggies are a no-brainer. In my own garden I do direct sow peas, beans reseed so I don't bother to WS or sow them anymore, I've got pole beans coming out of every nook and cranny here.

WS is something that people can adapt to their own use. I WS a lot, I also direct sow some too. Al ot of us WS both and flowers which I see you didn't mention above, oh and there's also ornamentals like shrubs trees and vines too. And today, I took my yearly trip to the nursery and bought pansies and jonquils which now are planted in my front yard.

The bottom line is that WS is a means to create an exponential amount of climate-hardy seedlings at a very low cost, no fuel is used for heat and no space is needed indoors. What someone does with the method is up to them--the results are mind-blowing.

• jaggudada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Trudi, you truly are the WS leading light!! I see WS is a very good alterative to growing indoors which I hate, with WSowing you don't have to worry about growing light, hardening off etc.

This will be my first time with WS. If this works, I'm really excited and looking forward to WS lot of annuals,perennials and vegetables.

• jaggudada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"You can WS anything that reseeds in a temperate climate, of which some are veggies. Cold season veggies are a no-brainer. In my own garden I do direct sow peas, beans reseed so I don't bother to WS or sow them anymore, I've got pole beans coming out of every nook and cranny here."

I didn't get the above clearly. can you clarify?

what did you mean by you can WS anything that reseeds?

what did you mean by cold season veggies are a no brainer?

beans reseed, does that mean that you plant them once and then they keep coming year after year as the peas fall on the ground when it is fall and they automaticallu sproute the next spring. what other veggies reseeds?

sorry for asking naive questions.

• norabelle
    13 years ago

Jaggudada,

Welcome! There is a HUGE FAQ in this winter sowing forum that describes and answers many of the questions you posted. In addition, you can go to the winter sowing website, which also addresses all of your questions. There are extensive seed lists, as well as seed lists by zone.

cheers,
    Norabelle

Here is a link that might be useful: wintersowing

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery