Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stlgirl_gw

Beginnings of an urban backyard transformation

stlgirl
13 years ago

Hi all,

Haven't posted any pics in a long while. Thought I would share what winter sowing has done for me so far. Click on the pics for a clearer view.

Thanks,

~StLGirl

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard 2010

Comments (13)

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Wow, what a nice job you did. It looks like a different place. Very nice, looks like a nice spot to sit.

Great job!

Karen

• tempusflits
    13 years ago

Very nice. Looks like you really took to winter sowing.

• adamark
    13 years ago

Looks great, congratulations, very inspiring.

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

I Like. Very nice and compact. A nice transformation.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Did you build your large planters? Guess they don't get moved around much! What are the red plants in the planters?

• stlgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Pippi,

My sweet hubby built those planters out of cedar fence boards - no plans to move them, lol. I just told him what size I wanted them to be. Plus we had loads of dirt after doing the garage concrete pour to fill them with. They are about 2/3 full of good old Missouri clay topped with some nice potting mix.

The red flowers are 4 o'clocks. I pinched them so they would get bushy. Wonderful to sit out there in the evenings and smell their fragrance.

~StLGirl

• paulan70
    13 years ago

That looks very relaxing and calming nice job.

Paula

• mogardengal
    13 years ago

Love it...makes me miss my STL garden!

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Nice seating area with the planters and decking. Your DH did a great job.

When I lived in St. Louis I was busy raising kids, my son and all the neighborhood kids who came to play in our large corner lot. I so miss St. Louis, but not the hot humid summer days.

• stlgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everybody.

Yes the summer days can be hot & humid. Though I am happy to report that we are currently experiencing a lovely 74 degrees on this nice spring evening. However we do have a saying here in St. Louis - if you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes. It will change.

~StLGirl

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    13 years ago

What a great job you've done. Looks totally serene. I like the 4 o'clocks and now am thinking about them for the big pots on my patio. Thanks for the inspiration.

Caryl

• Edie
    13 years ago

Beautiful! You did a fabulous job. I love four o'clocks too. I grew some in containers on my front porch last year and loved that soft fragrance. I don't have that gorgeous red though. Did yours come to you with a variety name? When did you WS them? I WS'd some last year and none sprouted. The ones I started inside were fine.

Edie

• stlgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Edie,

My 4 o'clocks are not a named variety. Received them in the '09-10 winter swap. Also last year was when I decided to forgo keeping meticulous records with my sowing dates. My approach is perennials 1st, hardy annuals, annuals, then tenders. So my guess is they were sowed about this time last year. Got 2 jugs of 4 o'clocks outside now (sowed a couple weeks ago). Looks like one has started sprouting with all this warm weather we have been having. Anyway now it looks as though they might need to come inside at night for a few days (yes I tend to baby my tenders). Not a big deal though since it is only a couple jugs.

~StLGirl

Sponsored