Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet William Pruning Help

Posted by norabelle WI 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 20:59

Hi, All,

I have WS Sweet William that is three years old. I thought it was biennial. However, I have two patches that are 1'x 2' each that are bright green and healthy looking.

Should I prune back all of this lush foliage? I have been searching throughout GW for info on this, and I found one discussion here from '06 that vera_eastern posted. However, I would like some more guidance about how or what to prune on the Sweet William.

Of course, I'm a bit leery to do too much pruning, too, since I've been doing quite a bit of clean up with our unusually warm March weather, and we could easily have frosts and snow yet. I don't want to kill the SW by pruning too early.
FWIW, I found delphinium stalks coming up and Agastache putting out some growth as well as Irish Eyes Ruds and more. (Not to mention all the bulbs I planted last fall--I'm hoping for a fun spring show with the bulbs this year.)

I could post a picture tomorrow if it would help others to see what I am asking about regarding the foliage and pruning of SW.

Thanks for any help and guidance!

cheers,
Norabelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet William Pruning Help

Pictures would definitely help me.

Thanks

Margaret

o

Below are two pictures I took this morning. I also checked The Well-Tended Perennial Garden that I checked out from the library. (Duh! Look at the book!) Well-tended said that SW can be perennial if not allowed to go to seed. I think this is what I did, since I tend to deadhead frequently and have not collected much seed from many plants--yet. :)

However, it said to divide and/or prune in the spring. After looking at the picks, do the two clumps look like they need dividing or pruning?

Thanks for guidance!

Norabelle

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

You can prune them, or pinch them back. BUT, you might sacrifice blooms. They're probably already budding. If you don't see any buds, go ahead. I did mine the other day knowing I would lose some. Oh, and what you snip off, place in a frost protect space in good moist potting mix, and watch them root. Outdoors is fine, morning sun or no sun.

o

Thank you so much, Token! I do not see buds yet, but I see where the buds will be, if that makes sense. :)

I think I'm going to pinch, prune, and divide, but I'm going to wait another week. We are having unseasonably warm weather here right now--20+ degrees above average normal--and it is supposed to drop back into the 30s and 20s with snow over the weekend. I'll wait to see what Ma Nature pinches and prunes first before I do my work. :)

Thank you, too, for the rooting suggestions. People have commented on this multicolored SW (it makes all different color flowers on the bloom clusters, including some with white, pink, red, and mixtures of each), and it would be great to propagate more so easily to give away.
Photobucket

cheers,
Norabelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here