Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just1morehosta

Have any of you grown Sweet Potatoes and:

just1morehosta
13 years ago

Garlik?

I would like to grow both, but do not have a clue as to how to grow either of them.

Help,,"0)

cAROL

Comments (10)

• PVick
    13 years ago

Hmmm ... what I know about garlic is that you should have planted the cloves in the fall - it requires a cold period. I had plans back in Novemebr, but never got around to it.

AS for potatoes, sweet or otherwise, I've never grown them, but I've been eying some potato bags for growing them on my terrace. I found an article on building a potato condo that was very interesting. I don't see why sweet potatoes couldn't be grown the same way; maybe the biggest drawback might be that they require quite a long growing season - and being a tropical, they are sensitive to frost.

Google "how to grow sweet potatoes" - you'll get lots of hits.

PV

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Yes, I grow sweet potatoes.
    They need to be started a month or so before your planting time, and they prefer a very warm soil to be planted in.
    I suspend a sweet potato (I just buy an organic potato) in a large vase (they swell, so be prepared to have a vase a few inches larger in circumference than your potato) by sticking a bamboo skewer through it. The potato sprouts, then I cut off the sprouts and stick them in water. These can be directly transplanted into very warm soil (I plant several weeks after the last frost), or you can put them in pots in a very sunny window to grow a bit before planting.
    I plant my sweet potatoes in reasonably good soil, water once or twice and totally ignore them.
    They are delicious, and hate a big fuss.
    Harvest before frost.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

GGG

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Years ago I planted sweet potatoes. I don't remember starting them early. They were delicious. Since I had limited gardening area then and make other choices now I have not planted any potatoes since.

Growing up in SD on a farm we had a huge potato patch at the end of one of the fields. Though we ate sweet potatoes we never grew them, don't know why.

We do not eat much garlic so I do not grow it (nor did my parents). I know that garlic is planted in the fall here.

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

I've never grown them. But I've heard of a lot of people growing them in pots, bags, or smart pots.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: smart pots

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Excuse me, I did mean "Garlic",,
    I did do a search on sweet potatoes, they really do not tell you how much room you need to grow them, or, what the yeild is.
    I liked the idea of the smart pots Karen, have you used them?I am concerened about chemicals in the fabric,same with plastic pots, I won't use them for growing veggies.
    Do you remember them old pots that were made out of crushed paper, cardboard?Wish I could find some of them,but then, who knows what they are made of.It is really getting,harder and harder, to find good organic planting material.
    Thannk you all for you help,guess I will wait for fall to plant my garlic,will I need a lot of room? SandHill has some good info for growing sweet potatoes if any one is interested.
    cAROL

• michiet
    13 years ago

I planted garlic cloves in oct or nov. You just need to space them 2 to 3 inches apart.

You harvest them when tops are brown, around july

Michelle

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Michelle, do I just break up the whole garlic cloves, and plant each one?
    Will one little clove,produce a whole big clove?
    cAROL

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Have you tried your University extension service site for info about planting those in your area? I find the best info for my area from our extension service.

Suggestions for sweet potatoes in our area include starting as GGG posted or buying slips. I think I bought slips when I grew them, have a bit of memory of that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing garlic

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mnwsgal,That is a great artical I book marked it for this fall.Thank you so much.
    cAROL

• michiet
    13 years ago

I'm in NJ so I'm not sure how much different between us

Yes, one clove will become 1 garlic bulb with many cloves.
    Each of the leaves will point to the skins forming for the garlic.

Very easy to grow, lessen water at the end of its life, maybe may to july until no need to water at the last 2 montHs

Michelle

Sponsored