Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds have to be dried?

Posted by barb_roselover_in 5B IN (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 21:15

I had a beautiful red pepper the other night and I was idly wondering to myself if I could possibly save the seeds and plant them this year. In my mind, I thought that I would have to dry the seeds and also, I remember reading somewhere that when they are hybrids, you only have a small chance of them turning out the same when you plant the seeds. I probably am wrong on either one or both of my thoughts, but I would like to kknow for sure. Thanks for any imput. Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds have to be dried?

I am not sure about drying the seeds. I know that the seed storage life is longer the dryer they are but I have harvested seeds and immediately replanted with out a problem.

As far as the hybrid goes, if it is a true hybrid, 50% of the sprouts should look like the parent plant you took the seeds from, 25% will look like one grandparent, 25% will look like the other grandparent and then. In subsequent generations, the chances of getting a plant that looks like the original goes down and down.

My thoughts are that you will probably be okay the first year saving seeds from a hybrid, but it wouldn't be worth it for following years.

o
RE: Seeds have to be dried?

you probably wouldn't have to dry too long anyway. I took seeds from a store-bought honeydew last year and planted them in the late spring. We got a couple of really nice melon from the seeds we planted.

aren't most veggies hybridized for things like hardiness, disease resistance and size? If you're just growing for yourself would losing some of those bred-in traits be all that bad? I figure the parents and grandparents were chosen for a reason so probably not all that terrible to get plants like them. In flowers, where you might want a particular color, it would matter more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here