Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmashy

WS veterans: please share 'best practices' ...

msmashy
12 years ago

... For opening and closing containers as temps warm up and then cool again. I am confused about what to do and I have a lot of containers that have sprouted already. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• northforker
    12 years ago

Others talk a lot about this but I've honestly never had to spend a lot of time on it. I try to get everything in the ground (well, try...) as early as possible (second set of leaves)and take the lids off my "plastic boxes" soon after last frost date here (4/20 or so?)if the seeds have germinated. My jugs, I crack open the tape and maybe stick a stick in to make the split wider once it gets to daytime temps over 70. All of my containers are in part sun/part shade.

This year IS odd though. I've never had sprouts so early and have had to take some tops off because the seedlings were hitting the top(plastic boxes) So I guess if winter came back I'd be in trouble.

Watch them. At a minimum, say good morning or good night to those babies! This way you can assess if anything looks like it may need more air/less heat/more water. I hated it when I cooked my first container of sprouts (a toooo shallow take out dish full of poppys - I'll never forget! I actually felt like I murdered them!

Nancy

• ellenrr
    12 years ago

Hi Michelle,
    It depends on the plants.
    For ex, lavendar sprouted for me - early Feb. Since we've been having freaky warm temps, it has been uncovered since it sprouted. Now it is rumored to go down to possibly frost temp Tuesday, but the Lav will be fine. It is a perreniel plus it has been established by now, so I have no worry.

otoh- pink strawflower sprouted a month or 2 ago, and similarly the container has been open since then, but it is an annual, and even tho - most likely it would be fine - I'll cover it on Tues just to be safe.

So in general if you have tender annuals which have sprouted I would cover them if the temp is forecast to go below 32.
    I just throw a row cover over them. It's not like it is going to be a hard freeze.
    I have only ONE basil which sprouted out of the whole container, and I will cover that for sure, bec. it is a warm weather plant, and bec. it is my only one!

If you have cool waether plants like lettuce, leave them. They actually like the cold. If you have tomatoes sprouted, I would definitely cover or move to a basement.

As long s it's in the '40's or above, I leave everything open.

hope this helps,
    ellen

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

There is another thread "Do you need to keep seedlings warm?" that answers these questions, also. It's active right now.

Martha

• msmashy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Nancy..you keep referring to your plastic boxes..can I assume you use the clear deli containers? Do you prefer tham vs Milk jugs or liter soda bottles? I could sure hide clear deli boxes behind hydrangea bushes better than white milk jugs. I discovered what I think might be a good place:behind the patio furniture that has canvas covers on it during the winter months to protect it from the elements. I have them in the milk crates and bring them out from behind the sofa when the temps warm up during the day. This is a test site..behind the patio furniture. Out of sight of nosey neighbors.

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

I don't remove lids, it's an invitation to wind, bugs and critters. What I do is gradually increase the venting in the containers, every week I double the size of the slits. After a few weeks they're totally hardy to sun and wind, not just cold temperatures, and into the ground they go.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting