Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

Can I do this?

barb_roselover_in
13 years ago

I usually winter sow my summer vegetables in March. I find that it is going to be necessary for me to have surgery with a probable recovery period of six weeks. The surgery will probably take place somewhere arond the end of April (got to get taxes prepared and paid before doing this). Am I going to be able to pull this off this year or should I just don't do it. I am skeptical although I will miss doing it. Thanks for any suggestions. - Barb

Comments (5)

• quilt_mommy
    13 years ago

You know what, I'm in a similar situation. Sort of. I'm pregnant! LOL* I'm having a scheduled c-section the first week of May. I have had two previous cesareans so I know for the most part what I'm in for...baby and all.

I think you just never know what you're going to be up for later, but here's my perspective on it. Wintersowing is relatively inexpensive, and you can transplant seedlings really up until the weather gets really hot, so I figure just go ahead and do it. Worst case scenario you really aren't up to it and you can give your seedling babies to friends or family...or give them away on freecycle if you don't have any gardening people around you. The only thing I'm doing differently this year is I'm probably not going to expand my garden much, and I'm planning to save any big expensive projects until next year. That way if I don't get to everything this year I won't feel guilty.

You know what else? Even when I'm in the best of health and have the money and time, I still don't get to all of my projects! LOL* I do this for fun, and I'm at a point where I refuse to stress over it. Life is short, so, do what you enjoy and don't worry if things don't go as planned. ;)

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

I would just do it.

Last year I had a c-section in January, I was out ripping up trees and shrubs in March, carrying rocks, digging up plants with a garden claw. I was still in pain, yet the garden motivated me somehow. The fresh air and the rain is great therapy.

Good luck to both of you ladies!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Not knowing what kind of surgery and coming from someone a little older than child bearing age :) (and congratulations you two!), I'd say play it by ear. I'd be curious if you have someone to help you get the garden area ready, would be able to bend, get up and down. Maybe sow a few things you couldn't find to buy if you have time, but there will be vegetable starts available at the nurseries, convenient for years just like this. You don't have to give up your garden, you may just do it a little differently this year.

Your vegetables won't be worth a bad outcome from knee, hip, or back surgery, I'd say invest the time to do it right and get the very best results you can from your surgery. I did prune rose on crutches late one winter, but I couldn't have readied a vegetable bed without help - and being on the practical side of personalities, wouldn't have tried ;)

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Yes, it depends on what kind of surgery you are having.I would say go for it, you can always place your babies in the shade, ( oh my, i mean plant babies ) and get to them later in the summer.
    I had back surgery last year, did all my planting out in a neck brace,it was not easy looking down, but I got them in the ground, hubby said he was going to fix me a hat with a mirror on it so I could see what I was doing, ha ha
    Better to be prepaired, than not eh.I would have been so sad, had I not done any.
    Congratulation to all of you who are expecting, a great time in your life,enjoy it.
    cAROL

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all of your replies. Well beyond child-bearing years, and a "me too", when it comes to congrats. I'm going to go for it. Have a long list of things to accomplish before surgery. I hate to have to plan something like this and have it hanging over my head. Others have to be included in my planning. Have a DIL who is the one who covers my back, and I am sure she will fill in, plus Dtr who will be coming from CA and son from NC. You have to take care of all possibilities. My planting will be done in raised beds. Hope the man above will leave me with some energy to take care of all this - Barb

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area