Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyrose65

Observation-All Chime In ( i.e, Containers)

ladyrose65
13 years ago

My Observation, so far has been, the individual cup containers are sprouting as opposed, to the jugs. The second runners up, would be the aluminum trays. Third, would be the Large soup cups (take-out Chinese).

Only 1 jug is sprouting. They are all in full sun.

What are your observations so far?

Not only as a personal goal for myself, but, I would like to send Trud_D. info on seeds for zone 6.

Comments (12)

• ldsluder
    13 years ago

Observations:

First sprouts: I saw the most in clear juice type containers, then milk jugs, followed by 2/3 liters.

Currently I have sprouts in all containers I put out, and have re-used quite a bit (will not use ice cream cartons anymore, unless the whole thing goes in a bag); the ones doing the best seedling wise would be again clear juice type, followed by 2/3 liters, with milk jugs 4th, and now the lasagna pans would be 5th. Almost all have sprouted, but super tiny, and I removed the covers too early... but they are hanging in there....

My favorite container would be the clear juice, followed by 2/3 liters, then milk jugs. I like the lasagna pans, but think they are suited for certain seed/plants.

I just set out some 1 gallon plastic tubs (similar to butter, or sour cream containers) with herbs and vegetables, curious to see how they fair - as they will be easy to store, re-usable for a few years, and free (with organic compost from the local hot-dog/ice cream place).

Sorry so long, oh - and mine are all lined on the east side of the house, full morning sun up until 2-3 o'clock for some containers...

Hope this helps!~Thanks.. Lisa / NC

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

No matter what the container, it always depends on the season and what seeds are in them. e.g. I have only done 9 gallon milk jugs so far this year, in Jan. or Feb., and all are perennials or hardy annuals. Probably have of those have sprouts.

I haven't even sown one tender annual yet- too cold here. They sprout fast, doesn't matter what type of container is used.

Karen

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

I just checked on mine today.

In one that's in full sun, I can see a batchelor button seed that is green, but not sprouting.

The ones I have in full sun look moist, so the sun is working it's magic.

The containers I have on the side porch missed an avalanche of ice from the roof. They are frozen solid. One of my poppy cups had fallen, and the soil refroze in a sideways position. I'm not going to worry about it, as I think I might have sown another container with the same variety in it. I'm debating whether or not to move them all to full sun.

I have used all the containers you mention, LadyRose. My favorite container as far as convenience sake and lots of ventilation is the gallon milk jug. As far as being able to see everything that's going on, it's the two liter soda bottle. The lasagna pans have ice layered on the top of the soil, under the protective covering - I'm not happy about that, trying not to worry about it.

• terryj09
    13 years ago

I have used a variety of containers, from 4-inch plastic pots in a covered container, to clear plastic take-out boxes and quart & gallon-sized jugs. I had a lot of seeds for knautia macedonica (perennial) so divided them between a quart jug and a clear plastic take-out box. I have twenty sprouts in the take out box, only one or two in the jug so far.
    The thing is, sooner isn't always better, especially with a newbie! Case in point: my first set of sprouts was cornflowers in 4 inch pots. Unfortunately, I left them under cover on an unseasonably warm day and came back to find them cooked. I sowed cornflowers again, a few weeks ago, in a Fazoli's takeout carton. They popped up in a few days. Yesterday, I left them uncovered to get some air and sunshine. When I went to put them to bed last night, I discovered they had been completely polished off, either by the resident chipmunk or my beloved birds. Arrrgh!

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just found 'Mexican Hat' sprouts in the bottles. The 1st bottle to sprout. I always thought the bottle would be the warmest and the 1st to sprout, altogether.

• tepelus
    13 years ago

I'm using only milk jugs, but I just went out to check to see if I had any sproutage, and doubting I would find any since we haven't really had any warm days, lo and behold, I have two sprouts! They're not fully emerged, but they're there. I have one Liatris spicata and one Liatris punctata sprout. Woohoo! Now we need some warm days, sun, and NO MORE RAIN! Or snow. But tonight we're expecting another 1-3 inches of the white stuff, only to melt away two days later. Oh, and today I sprinkled Shirley Poppy seeds in my daffodil bed. Maybe in a week or two or so I'll see tiny poppy sprouts out there, if the bed doesn't get flooded out and wash the seeds away, and spread them all over the yard.

Karen

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Karen, We got some heavy rains here. Post your sprouts when they get some size.

• ellenrr
    13 years ago

I normally use only the bottom half of one gallon water plastic bottles. Last year for the first time I used some large soda bottle containers. Nothing in them sprouted!

Don't know if that was bec. of the container, or bec. the seeds in these containers were things I got in trade, which were new to me, and perhaps they wouldn't have sprouted in any container.

• ldsluder
    13 years ago

I am currently setting out styrofoam and dixie cups... I have heard a lot about they dry out - so I plan on keeping a close eye on them, and if need-be, will set them in a pan of water to absorb the water from bottom up, not to disturb the tops.. or have to open...

Latest observation - 2 and 3 liters still have highest percentage of latest seedlings in them, followed very closely now by milk jugs (+ I set out more 2/3 liters overall than milk jugs) - all but 1 of my juice containers have seedlings now...

it appears to me that this is the most brilliant way to reuse both recyclables and trash to make every day a little greener!!!!!

• flowergirl1211
    13 years ago

clear containers has been more successful than others. Especially the containers that fruit comes in at Sam's club. They are clear with the tops and holes on the tops, you really don't have to do anything to them.
    Linda

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree, flowergirl, my Sam's container has Campunula's sprouting everywhere.

• lceh
    13 years ago

This is my first year WS, and with one or two exceptions all of my 105 containers are either gallon milk jugs or those really big, clear plastic tubs which held 1 lb of baby spinach or baby greens from Sam's Club. The salad containers are my very favorite; the lid snaps on and off, making access easier, even though the plastic's more brittle and harder to poke holes in. They are the most perfect little greenhouses, they are twice as big as one milk jug, and they encourage us to eat more salad! I'm a little worried about how much of a pain it might be to cut open the milk jugs when the time comes. That said, I am having equally excellent germination results from both.

Sponsored