Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to sow hardy annuals

Posted by proudgm_03 6 MO (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 23:19

It's been a couple of years since I WS and I can't remember when to WS hardy annuals for zone 6. Anyone have any idea when to start seeds?
Thanks,
Becky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to sow hardy annuals

I have sowed a couple annuals so far (Cosmos for the seed experiment), I would go ahead and sow now, because hardy annuals like Rudbeckia usually sprout for me in late March or early April and they are pretty frost tolerant. Although we are supposed to get another 6-10 inches of snow tonight, so I am not even close to getting sprouts yet. Oh well.

o

I too wintersowed cosmos for the Feb. 2 experiment and have a few sprouts, but they might be goners after last night's frost. Still, that's one I usually direct sow and I've got more seeds so it's fine.

As for other annuals, the only ones I wait on are zinnias. My marigolds and petunias have been out for awhile and I've never had problems with starting them in Feb. or early March.

Which annuals were you thinking of?

o

I have tons of annuals. I didn't want them to sprout too early. We're still having way to cold of temps for March.

o

Checked my sprouts yesterday. Despite cold nights with some frost and pretty cold days, too, all the seedlings look fine. And a few marigolds just broke the surface so maybe the weather is trending a bit warmer even though it hasn't seemed like it.

Caryl

o

• Posted by nan-6161 Zone 7 Long Island, (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 23:07

If you feel like you will be strapped for time later, I guess you can sow annual seed now....but what's the rush? Annuals are tender and like warmth. While they may sprout, they are not going to really get much of a head start because they really take off when temps rise. I stick with the many perennial seeds I sow until mid-April and then start my annuals and I am in zone 7.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here