Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprout Report For Last Couple Weeks

Posted by ladygladys z5b/6a NEPA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 0:00

Hey all! Here is a total so far of what has sprouted for me in the last couple weeks.
Perennials:
Oriental Poppy
Scabiosa Issac House
Lupine Russell
Hollyhocks Indian Spring
Yarrow Pastel Mix
Iceland Poppy
Gayfeather
Greek Oregano
Black Pansy
Maltese Cross
Pyrethrum Daisy
Cupids Dart Alba
English Daisy
Heliomeris
Pansy Swiss Giants
Purple Coneflower
Gloriosa Daisy

Annuals:
Shirley Poppy
Peony Poppy
Godetia
Clarkia
Alyssum Carpet of Snow
Candytuft
Balsam
Painted Daisy
Phlox
Livingstone Daisy
Red Flax
Stock
Sweet Sultan
Toadflax
Pepperbox Poppy
Hens & Chicks Poppy
Texas Bluebonnets
Calendula
Lupine Pixie Delight
Swan River Daisy
Snapdragons
Catchfly

Veggies:
Buttercrunch Lettuce
Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprout Report For Last Couple Weeks

Wow! Good list :)

Oooo I just looked up annual Catchfly....NICE! I only have the perennial Lychnis that stays green all winter and blooms in spring. I believe it's called German Catchfly. Also Snaps are perennial here (most of the time), but were definitely perennial in my zone 5b-6a Eastern WA gardens where they were mulched....got bigger and better each year :)

Vera

o

Wow! Long list.

I am happy to say that even though I started sowing late this year, I am finally getting lots of sprouts.

My sweet alyssum sprouted in less than a week!

o

Vera, I did have a snapdragon that came back every year but I think it is not coming back this year due to the harsh winter we had. I did not notice any new growth when I cut the old stalk earlier this week.

Terrene, wow less than a week is impressive! I love alyssum they are so cheery and have such a nice fragrance to them.

o

Ladygladys, do you think you lost anything else to the winter? I think I lost my lupine, some young hollyhock and malva -- no signs of them in the garden yet and they're usually sprouting by now. Can perennials rot? From Dec. 1 - March 17 we didn't go a week without snow, usually a few inches or more each time. Worst winter I can remember.

I'm resowing all of them, but that means another full year before blooms. :(

Caryl

o

Caryltoo, so far it looks like just the Snapdragons and a Foxglove that never bloomed for me after 2 years. Thank goodness the babies I wintersowed in 2012/2013 made it through! My hollyhocks did not survive summer because they were weevil infested along with rust. I hope they survive this time around.

o

I lost some perennials that I planted last year - Red Gaillardia which I LOVE, and a rudbeckia.
I hope I can find them locally and replace.
The Rosemarys didn't make it, but that was expected.
Thyme and Sage made it. I had a Russian sage in a pot, which I was just about to toss, when I noticed signs of life, and now it is doing great.
I also had a butterfly bush in a pot, which I think is gone.

Not sure yet, but it looks like my blue Salvia perennials are not coming back. :(
I've got seeds, but it's sad to lose perennials, now shall have to wait at least a year until they reach their glory.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here