Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedling Pictures

Posted by vera_eastern_wa 5b-6a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 0:59

Something new is sprouting everyday now! This weekend we are supposed to hit 79-80F and dry. Hopefully the area I'm digging in for the new bed will get a chance to dry out some from all the rain lately; I'd like to start planting in it pretty quickly!
Today's sprouts are: Abelmoschus manihot, Impatiens balsamina and Nicotiana alata.
Pictures from April 16th and 17th

Cynoglossum amabile
Cynoglossum amabile April 16th
Venidium fastuosum from 'Jaffa Ice'. Seedlings from 'Jaffa Ice' did come true I found out from self-sown seedlings last year :)
Venidium April 17th
Snapdragon 'Night and Day'. It appears that all but a few of my 4 year old Snapdragon finally kicked the bucket this year. This winter got exceptionally cold for just a short time, but long enough to kill them; even with the heavy snow cover. Normally our snow is here on day and gone the next
Snapdragon 'Night and Day' April 17th
Schizanthus AKA Poor Man's Orchid. These seedlings are hardier than I expected. So far they've been just fine with a few heavy frosts and a dip or two down to 29F
Schizanthus April 17th
Oregon Sugar Pod II. Getting planted out tomorrow. I noticed that the peas that I direct sowed on 3/21 started germinating over the same few days as these ones sown on 3/30. Germination started on 4/10 and all 12 peas in (2) 6-celled pony packs are up....peas continue to germinate in the garden though. We're gonna have peas coming out of our ears LOL!
Peas 'Oregon Sugar Pod II' April 17th
Turnip '7 Top'
Turnip '7 Top' April 17th
Mustard 'Florida Broadleaf'
Mustard 'Florida Broadleaf' April 17th
Linaria maroccana. These seeds were harvested in 2006 from self-sown 'Northern Lights' and do come true. I love the pretty little bi-colored pastel snapdragon-like blooms. They love cool weather and will re-bloom if cut back by half.
Linaria maroccana April 17th
A no-name generic Romaine Lettuce and one called 'Salad Bowl'. I don't even remember where I bought these seed but could be walmart; all I know is that I've been using these seed for the last 6 years LOL!
Romaine Lettuce April 17th
Lettuce 'Salad Bowl' April 17th
Kohlrabi 'White Vienna' and 'Purple Vienna'
Kohlrabi 'White Vienna' April 17th
Kohlrabi 'Purple Vienna' April 17th
Kiss-Me-Over-the-Garden-Gate
KMOTGG April 17th
Arugula
Arugula April 17th
Rhubarb
Rhubarb April 16th
Poppy 'Lauren's Grape'.
Papaver 'Lauren's Grape' April 16th
Matthiola incana 'Giant Imperial'
Matthiola incana 'Giant Imperial' April 16th
Helenium-red
Helenium-red April 16th
German Catchfly
German Catchfly April 16th
Valerian
Valeriana officinalis April 16th

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedling Pictures

Oh so pretty vera. I can't wait to see the lovely flowers blooming their little hearts out in your garden.

Paula

o

• Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 10:00

nice sprouts!!

The rubarb one is so cute.
Karen

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 13:24

Nice, Vera! Interesting that all the brassica seedlings look alike, it seems - your turnip, mustard and kohlrabi seedlings look just like my cauliflower.

PV

o

Looking good Vera!!

You mention the snapdragons... I sowed more but yesterday I went to clean out one of the flower beds and pulled an old Snap out of the ground. Lots of resistance and when I had the roots I noticed they were still nice and plump. I'm leaving the others in to see if anything will come of them. Just trimming the tops today. We'll see.

I have no sprouts of the Nicotiana. Always thought they sprouted early, but your experience shows me that's not true, so I'll wait a bit more.

Turnip... We grew some last year as they are a favourite of DD's, but when we pulled them from the ground they had little holes made by insects in them. Yuck! Any idea? Couldn't eat them.

o

great pics Vera you reminded me I have planted no snaps. Must get on that.

Annette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here