Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saravancouver

my winter sown vegetables 6 to 8 inches tall- pictures

saravancouver
13 years ago

here are some pictures took on March 30, around 10 days ago. All are winter sown.

choy sum chinese veggies
{{gwi:371447}}

spinach mustard
{{gwi:371449}}

Cherry radish{{gwi:371451}}

cabbage
{{gwi:371452}}

A lot more pictures on http://www.howtovegetablegardening.com/planting/winter-sowing

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Vegetables

Comments (12)

• ellenrr
    13 years ago

Beautiful!
    I can practically taste them. :)

• jaggudada
    13 years ago

They look so healthy. I have jealous!!!!!

You containers are different than milk jugs and 2 litre bottles. Whare those containers? Are those just big pots? did you conver it with plastic? If you could briefly let me know when did you sow, how did you sow will be greatly appreciated. Please summarize your process, they look so healthy....

• LilBlossom
    13 years ago

Nice! So neatly spaced out too! You should see my "bunched" up plants! *lol*

• saravancouver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i winter sown them in the large grape flats with plastic cover. Than transplant the seedlings in the large container made from half garbage can on March 15. No covers in the garbage can container because they very strong and even can grow in winter. Actually I should transplant them early so I would have had the full crop much early than now. I waited the mushroom compost to be delivered in March since they don't want to do it in Feb. ( too much rain and muddy).

here are the pictures in order:

Winter sowing large flat

{{gwi:371453}}

seedlings in the large flat

{{gwi:371454}}

transplanted the seedlings on march 15, 2011

{{gwi:371455}}

grow to 6 to 8 inches on march 30, 2011

{{gwi:371447}}

A lot more pictures on http://www.howtovegetablegardening.com/planting/winter-sowing

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow vegetables

• terrene
    13 years ago

Great pics! They look yummy! Do you grow in containers due to lack of space? Do your containers get full sun?

• saravancouver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Most of my backyard are concrete but i winter sown thousands of veggie seeds and flower seeds, so i grow some on the ground, some in containers. The containers gets around 6 to 8 hours sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Gardening

• jaggudada
    13 years ago

saravancouver.

Did you set this grape flat in the middle of nowhere where the snow can fall on plastic and might make plastic touch the soil or you set this under some protection? How did you water it? you mentioned no covers on garbage can containers, are these containers set in some type of protection? Also I see you will be transplanting them twice. Isn't it? When will you transplant them in ground?
    Thanks

• saravancouver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Did you set this grape flat in the middle of nowhere where the snow can fall on plastic and might make plastic touch the soil or you set this under some protection?"
    ---When I winter sown the seeds, I set them outside without protection when they are in the grape flat. But we don't have much snow here, the snow came few time and melted in couple of days. But tons of rain. And at night always below zero before April. When I saw the sprout came out, I removed them to a shelter area, but still outdoor in the cold. Just because we have so much rain here, almost every day. Every few days I put them out of the shelter area to get some rain.

"you mentioned no covers on garbage can containers, are these containers set in some type of protection? " The garbage can container are not under any shelter, and I just transplanted some of the seedlings from the grape flat to the container as the permanent home. And other seedlings transplanted onto the ground. No two time transplanting for the same seedling.

Right now in the gabage can container, the veggies might be too crowed. But I always can pull out couple of them and just eat the younger and tender crop. And leave the others to grow bigger.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    13 years ago

Sara, congratulations! Maybe healthy plants make healthy people? Your pictures look great. I have enjoyed looking at your interesting containers before & remember the large tofu boxes that you were re-using for ws'ing. I like the way that you recycle, recycle!

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Sara,
    R U winter sowing them again? How did your last ones do with transplanting? Did you have bolting with the erratic spring weather? I'm in western WA south of you. You might want to add your zone to your user name.

Please consider posting your inspiring pics on the Asian Veg forum.

Corrine

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Those are really nice pictures. I like the cup and half cup idea. After today's temps, I'm starting to get nervous that mine will sprout. If felt like 65 degrees today.

• Farmington
    10 years ago

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IN YOUR SOIL ON THESE CONTAINERS.