Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

OT - What is this item?

northerner_on
12 years ago

Hello fellow-wintersowers: I guess we all have pet peeves about the 'equipment' and 'tools' we use. Being up north I have to start my peppers and tomtoes indoors and I have been frustrated for many years by those flimsy domed seed trays that are available in supply stores. By the time my seedlings are ready to be hardened off, they are in 3-inch pots or styrofoam cups, and trying to move a tray full of seedlings from my basement is fraught with danger. I have been wondering why doesn't someone come up with something more sturdy. I have been looking for an alternative and thought a cat litter box might do, but they seemed too deep. Anyway, during one search last year, I ventured into a Goodwill and came upon this perfect solution which is pictured below.

{{gwi:371565}}

As you can see this is perfect. It is hard plastic, sturdy, about 18 by 12 inches, deep enough for bottom watering which I do, and has two adjustable wire handles for lifting, has perforated sides for good air circulation - what else could anyone want. The problem - I cannot find out what it is or was in before it was discarded at the Goodwill. I have looked at it all over and the only markings are a recyclable triangle with a 5 inside, and the words CHINA underneath. There is no brand name anywhere on this tray. I would like to get another one of these (one for each of my lights) but I don't know what it is, and where to look. Does anyone have any idea what it is or was in its pre-Goodwill life? I feel a little daft asking this question, but as I always told my kids 'the only stupid question is one that is not asked'.

Northerner.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area