Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

What seeds did you want the most?

pippi21
12 years ago

We all have planted flower seeds that we dearly wanted to be successful. What would you say is your most desired plant that you are wintersowing? For me I think it will be larkspurs, lupines, Geum, and gaillardia and heliotrope "Marine." Oh, and some foxgloves but knowing that some of these won't show any blooms this year.

Comments (20)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I'm looking forward to the lupines, rudbeckia 'Irish Eyes,' Shasta daisy, penstemon and hollyhock blooming that I grew from seed last year. These are all new-to-me perennials WS this year that sort of top my list of most anticipated:

Toad lily
    Persicaria
    Japanese iris
    Geum triflorum
    Rudbeckia 'Cherokee Sunset'

• tomva
    12 years ago

confederate rose
    and
    Texas star Hibiscus

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

tomva - I'll wish really hard for your confederate rose if you'll do the same for my toad lily! (;-p)

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    12 years ago

Lupine, but they didn't make it last year because I planted them in an area where my husband had accidentally used a weed killer that sterilized the soil. :( So I'm starting over with them and malva and hollyhocks.

Caryl

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

water drops and sunset moth daylily crosses, all my hellebores, and hardy geraniums :)

• tomva
    12 years ago

You got a deal, Gardenweed:o)

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I don't think I have any that I wanted the most, with the exception of my daylily crosses, but that's a given every year. I am disappointed that I got only two sprouts of Lupinus perennis out of twelve seeds. Maybe the others may yet sprout. But I still have another dozen seeds in the fridge, and the inoculate that came with them, so I may start those with the inoculate and see how they do. I didn't do anything to the seeds I winter sowed prior to planting since I'd read I wouldn't have to. If they don't do well, then I guess I'll just have to pass it off as having a batch of bad seed.

Karen

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Prairie Smoke and the hardy geranium seeds. The Prairie Smoke has already germinated-praying!
    Oh, and the petunias-these are for the front porch hanging baskets-I would love to bypass Lowe's and the nurseries/greenhouses this year!
    And, River, if you are out there anywhere-my LIR hasn't germinated yet! WTH?!
    Shirley!

• terrene
    12 years ago

Well, I suffered a temporary lapse in sanity this winter that occured during the "Snowmaggedon" here in New England. Feeling irritable and oppressed by the tons of snow and ice covering everything, I felt a compulsive desire to browse seed websites and check out seed racks buy the seeds of whatever pretty flowers struck my fancy! Yes, it did made me feel better, lol.

Some of the seeds I bought:

Echinacea 'Pow Wow Wild Berry'
    Echinacea 'Primadonna White'
    Digitalis 'Camelot White, Cream and Lavender'
    Aquilegia 'Origami Blue & White, Pink & White, White, and Rose Queen'
    Physostegia 'Crystal peak' (white obedient plant)
    Monarda Bergamo
    Ipomoea 'Split Personality'
    ETC.

Hey Shirley - what is LIR??

• kimka
    12 years ago

I'm really looking forward to the echinacia pow wow wild berry and the the foxglove candy mountain.

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Terrene - Lady in Red salvia-aka red texas hummingbird sage, I think.
    Hey, keep an eye on the pysostegia-bought the plants a few years back, the next year they quadrupled in width, and crowded out alot of my other plants. Took me two years to get rid of them. I found them to be VERY aggressive. Very pretty plant, but not really obedient, for me, anyway.
    It's funny, but my daughter, who doesn't garden yet, was just telling me how satisfying, and comforting, it is for her to browse the seed catalogs, and wander around greenhouses, etc. Hopefully, she will have a place, soon, so she can get started!
    Shirley!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention E. Pow Wow Wild Berry. How could I forget when the seeds were so expensive? You should see the pages and pages of seeds I wrote down on my wish list to order only to be crossed out when some others took my fancy. I didn't really set a $$ limit but couldn't bring myself to spend more than a modest amount on seeds considering all the trading I did. I was also determined not to repeat last year's marathon winter sowing that resulted in 486 milk jugs.

Shirley - I'll be interested to hear how your hardy geranium seeds do. I'd love to grow some via WS but wasn't sure if they were a good candidate. Do you mind sharing where you got your seeds?

cAROL/just1morehosta was interested in hearing about growing petunias from seed too. I prefer calibrachoa/million bells to petunias and buy mine at a local benefit plant sale every year. They need zero care and bloom non-stop until Thanksgiving.

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Gardenweed - I got the seeds from a very generous lady over on the seed exchange forum. As far as I know, she doesn't have them listed on her trade list. I WSed them on 4/6 and our weather here has been cool and rainy. Don't know what will happen!
    The seeds are really hard to collect, but if I am successful at growing the plants, I will try to save some for you - It might be a while!
    Shirley!

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

gardenweed-- i have had very good luck with a seller on ebay. link below. i have germination already in 5 out of 7 containers of hardy geraniums :)

Here is a link that might be useful: choice plants

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Shirley & rosemctier - thanks to you both! I'm going to wait and make up my mind about WS them next year. I picked up some bare-root plants last year that should get some size to them this season. So many things I WS last year (my first) should bloom this year too = plenty to look forward to bloom-wise.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Yeah Shirley, my Physostegia 'Vivid' plants from Bluestone got quickly out of hand and has been banished into pots! Until I get a "Wild" garden bed ready in back, where all those hyper plants can grow in a mish mash together.

I just sowed Salvia Lady In Red last weekend, along with Salvia Yvonnes, and Salvia Coral Nymph. They haven't sprouted yet either.

Oh, also forgot I got some great Daylily seeds from JeanneinOH on the seed exchange this winter. She did a SASBE and her Daylilies are so pretty! Looking forward to seeing those bloom in a year or 2.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I sowed some geranium wlassovianum, and have pretty good germination. No real space to put them, but I do have seedlings.

Karen

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Good Morning!
    terrene-I never thought to plant the obedient plants in containers-DUH-I really liked the white ones, such a nice, crispy white!
    LIR and Coral Nymph are salvia coccineas-I prefer these to the more solid blooms of the other salvias. There are some others-Deep Apricot, Snow Nymph and a pale pink one called Brenthurst, but I have never seen them offered anywhere.
    Karen-what color is the wlassovianum?
    Have a great day, everyone!
    Shirley!

• livsauntieshel
    12 years ago

I think I'm most looking forward to the things I've never had before, or those I've never started from seed before. The Blue Star columbines come to mind, they just look so happy. And the Sunrise Lupines, which are only marginally hardy here according to their seed pack (and I just looked them up, Swallowtail says they're an annual, actually) The balloon flowers Eileen sent me, the way they flower is so different that anything else and they get such pretty fall color. I also am trying petunias from seed. I have a 10'x 18" area along a retaining wall that I want them to flow over...we'll see how that goes. I can't imagine the price to fill that area buying the plants! I'm going to try to overwinter cuttings if they do well, because the F1 hybrids won't come true from reseeding.

• molanic
    12 years ago

The seeds sown this year that I am most excited about are:
    1. queen of the prairie
    2. red yucca
    3. hellebores (will be my third try though)

Previous year seeds sown that I'm still thrilled with:
    1. swamp milkweed (for the sweet vanilla smell and food for my monarch cats)
    {{gwi:371632}}

2. cardinal flower (because purchased plants always failed, but now I have a large stand that the hummingbirds love and an endless supply of seed)
    {{gwi:371633}}

3. prairie smoke (I tried for two years just to get the seed after seeing pictures here, now in their second spring they are starting to bloom!)
    {{gwi:371634}}

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts