Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

Do not bake your new sprouts

"For those who have sprouts"- Part 2

another caution, esp. as temps rise around the country-

do not bake your babies.

One year I put a thermometer inside a container to see the difference between outside temp and inside temp. It can be as much as 20 degrees higher inside your container than out, even with holes in the top.

So be sure to move them in and out of sun and shade, or leave them in dappled shade. If in doubt, I would go for shade over direct sun, because they will still be getting bright light.

As temps warm, start to make those holes in the lid, bigger and bigger.

ellen

Comments (13)

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

THanks for the reminder; I was actually only thinking of "finally, it's dry so they can actually sprout," but completely forgot about 'get those covers off the ones that already have!!!'

• kek19
    17 years ago

make them bigger even if you only have 1-2 sprouts??

• Kathy46
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for the reminder I will do that right away.

Kathy

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kek19,
    It doesn't really depend on how may sprouts you have, but on what is the temp. inside the container.

For ex today in NJ it is in the 60's I think. Yea!
    So my containers that have sprouted I have them either in full sun, with really big holes in the ocver, or, a little more covered up, and in the shade.

hope this helps clarify.

ellen

• northforker
    17 years ago

Thanks for the warning.....
    I just took the plastic cover off a too shallow (in hindsight) tin take out container and the soil was letting off steam!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope the tiny joe pye seedlings in there aren't totally cooked. Have taken covers off everything today that has any substantial growth.

But here is the question..... if the nightime temps will go down (not anywhere near freezing, but colder then todays nice day temp) do I need to run around after dinner and pop all the lids back on? Or is it time for them to start coping? Not anything really tender, hardy annuals (larkspur, godetia,poppy) and perennials (sedum, dianthus, a few more)

Thanks,
    Nancy

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

Nancy- Although your night temps may be higher than ours, if ours are still dipping into the 30s, I DO run around covering containers in the evening. This only lasts about a week up here, then it's covers-off entirely.

• northforker
    17 years ago

I just checked my local weather site - says daytime temps 50 -65 degrees and night time temps 40-50 degrees for next ten days. Think I can leave the tops off?

Thanks,
    Nancy

• ptp813
    17 years ago

What temp at night do you think would require lids back on? We will be in the mid 40's the next few nights. What temp is high enough in the day to take the tops off? Thanks for clarifying for me.

• irisgirl
    17 years ago

Hi, everyone - We are still getting night temps in the low to mid 30s here north of Denver. I threw away all the container lids quite some time ago. Since my collection is small, I have everything in a south-eastern exposure on our patio. They get full shade by 2PM. When I think it's going to be too cold for them, day or night, I throw an old quilt over the whole bunch. The only ones that have not survived are the ones I cooked early on (early March) by leaving the lids on too long. Hope this helps. I'm just first yr WS...

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Nancy,

Of the flowers you mentioned above, all of them can go down to at least 23°. I had planted out in the garden when we had that cold spell a week or two ago and I didn't cover them at all. I vote to take the covers off and leave them off. (Watch for sunscald)

Lime

• northforker
    17 years ago

Thanks. I did leave the covers off last night and they all seem fine this morning. I will keep the covers handy, in case we go down to temps in the 30's again (seems crazy but you never know the way things have gone this year...)

Nancy

• keakathleen
    17 years ago

Hello all,

Just wondering if any fellow Nebraskans had WS seeds this year. This is my first year. I sowed my seeds at the beginning of Feb. We had a warm spell at the end March/beg April and I left my lids on. I just took my lids off as the weather has warmed to above freezing at night. I have seen no sprouts. :( I have my seeds on the south side of my house where they are in full sun. The seeds are full sun plants. Any advice?

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

Too late. Crud. 2 jugs of Cosmos (Dazzler and um...seashells, I think) fried. :(

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH