Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
exactly how big are your HOS?

Posted by beachgrub 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 7:49

I've used the gallon milk jugs. I'd like things to look full this year so should i just divide the jugs into quarters? I sowed very heavy so the jugs are packed full.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: exactly how big are your HOS?

You know, this is one of those "it depends" situations.
And what it depends on is WHAT seedlings are packed full in that jug. For plants that will ultimately remain small (dianthus, allysum) you can do what you have said, but you'll get more coverage if you make the HOS's a bit smaller and leave some space between.

For larger plants, I do try my best to get no more than 3-4 seedlings in a chunk. Because when they grow, only one or two are going to make it that close togther (usually). Yesterday I planted out African daisy. They will get 1-2' tall. I tried to get only 3-4 seedlings in a chunk and planted them about 6-8 inches apart. When thye grow they will be tight - head to head - and that's they way I like them for fullness and weed prevention.

o

Six or seven seedlings a hunk is about what I do.

o

Wow, glad i asked, i was thinking 20-30 seedlings per hunk! Omg am i going to have ALOT of extras! Lol

o

But remember you don't HAVE to stress yourself to get only a few seedlings in a chunk. I think every WSer has planted an entire "brownie" from the bottom of a milk jug in desperation at one point or another! You just get more for your WSing buck by going smaller if you can....

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 21:57

It depends. If I just want a nice patch, I divide the jug into 4 brownies. Sometimes i halve those quarters depending on germination.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here