Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenrr_gw

^^$)$^!) squirrels - and a note on WS roots

ellenrr
12 years ago

Night before last the squirrels got into every single pot and every container. They don't do much damage to established plants, but my seedlings get all torn up.

so last nite I was putting screen over containers and I knocked one off the table! Naturally it was my favorite, most anticipated - pink strawflowers.

I picked them up and replanted and I think they will survive.

If I don't, it's war-to-the-death on squirrels. :)

But what amazed me - I forgot how long the roots of our tiny WS plants are. The above-grown part is only about 1/2 inch, and I was getting impatient - "why aren't they growing?"

Of course they ARE growing - underground, where the roots are about 10 inches long.

wow. No wonder our ws plants are so strong.

ellen

ps anyone ever have to replant tiny seedlings? would love to hear that they survived.

Comments (13)

• beachgrub
    12 years ago

Omg!! So sorry! I'd totally freak. I have been leaving our beagle outside and know that he's standing guard for me. Critters don't get anywhere NEAR my jugs. After reading your post i tossed a couple of dog treats out to him!

• duane456
    12 years ago

I had friends over for Easter and they had 3 kids, who played outside. They had a good old time in my back yard. The next day, I noticed they had trampled some lupine I had planted out. 6 plants in all. 4 of them were smashed and I had to actually find them in the dirt. They only had one or two true leaves. I thought they were goners. I put them back and hoped for the best. It looks like haven't skipped a beat. You can't tell the 4 that were smashed from the other 2 that weren't smashed. Tough little buggers.
    Duane

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

Ellen, I feel your pain. I have always prided myself on controlling the squirrels in my yard by feeding them. I put out nuts for them near the back fence to keep them from my plants, but this year, they are really viscious. They have dug up lots of already established bulbs that are emerging for summer: tulips, lilies and just leaving the bulbs around the garden. I have been moving quite a few perennials and invariably, the transplants are dug up the next day. But I was really teed off this week, when they dug up one of my two rose bushes that I had WS'd (it took two years) using seeds from my dentist's bushes. And they did not eat it - they just dug it up and left it lying on the ground. It was just leafing out for the summer, so I hoped that the roots were still intact and covered it. It seems the rodents are really a problem this year because of the early warmth, their early mating, and needing to feed their offspring before we have very much in the gardens.

• daisydawnny
    12 years ago

What is up with the squirrels this year? The darn ninja squirrels got into my containers, dug up my onions and STOLE my horseradish! I found the root on the opposite side of the yard. They are really being naughty this year. AND there are alot of them.

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Northerner,
    sorry for your rose bushes (2 years!) I hope they make it.
    Yes now I remember reading that bec. of no-winter at least in the northeast, the squirrels are really nutsy this year.

I never had trouble like this before. Just an occasional digging around.
    maybe I should feed the poor things.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Ellen,
    A little roughing up of roots can actually stimulate more root development. In fact, professional growers transplants small seedlings multiple times on purpose to encourage that kind of growth. Think about when you transplant a root bound plant. You actually trim off some of the excess root to encourage more central root growth.

DON'T feed the squirrels! That will just allow more babies to survive to have more hungry babies next season who will require even more food and cause more damage. Some of the digging up of entire plants may be ground hogs or wood chucks rather than squirrels, so don't give them all the blame. I've heard that planting bulbs under some open wire mesh will keep them from being dug up. Daffodils and their relatives are generally left alone because they contain some poison chemical. Tulips, hyacinth, and everything else beautiful you can think of, are delicious, apparently. Good Luck!

Martha

• ricjo22
    12 years ago

I was having the same problem with one squirrel who has even gone so far as to chew young trees in half for no apparent reason. Red pepper powder kept him off for a while but when I put out sprouted pecan and hazels and acorn pots he went nuts and wrecked a dozen more pots. You wont see him any more!

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Ellen! I totally agree with docmom! DON"T feed them!
    I've been battling squirrels for the last few years. My neighbor opens her back door and throws hands full of peanuts out for them, which is a nice thing to do, I guess. However, they bring the peanuts over to my flower beds to bury them, anywhere there is freshly dug up soil. I can't tell you how many plants they destroyed last year.
    I agree that "roughing up" the roots could sometimes be a good thing, BUT you have to catch the uprooted plant before it has been exposed for long, or in the sun.
    This year I am having to put plastic netting over everything. It seems to be working, so far, but it just makes extra work for me.
    I had a groundhog last year, but I live trapped him, hopefully he is gone for good.
    I could go on forever. I really HATE squirrels.
    Shirley!

• stlgirl
    12 years ago

Guessing one of my neighbors here is feeding them. Keep finding peanuts buried in my garden beds and deck boxes. Though fortunately the resident hawks the city released a couple years ago to control the pigeon problem has cut down the squirrel population considerably.

Plastic knives and forks placed strategically around new seedlings works pretty good at keeping things from being dug up. I have also had good results with plastic bird netting over raised beds. Though I have had neighbors inquire about the forks I was growing - lol.

~StLGirl

• dekprizm
    11 years ago

~StLGirl,

I have not heard of the plastic fork and knife thing to protect seedlings - could you elaborate please? Do you bury the forks with the tines facing up and away? I seem to have a bigger problem right now with chipmunks.....

Mary

• stlgirl
    11 years ago

Here is a link to pics of what I am talking about.

-StLGirl

Here is a link that might be useful: forks in garden

• sjc48
    11 years ago

StLGirl! Thanks for that tip! I have lots of clear plastic forks, and will try this idea as soon as it warms up around here! I'm starting to pot up seedlings for a plant sale, hopefully this will work with those too!

I used to have cats out there, from my cat-crazy neighbor, and what I didn't realize was that the cats kept the squirrels away. When that neighbor moved and took all the cats with her, my squirrel problem started.

I'm not sure which is worse!
    Have a good day!
    Shirley!

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

You can also put the tray flats over them or try any type of lightweight basket with large holes.

The green golf driving range plastic baskets ($1 at thrift store) worked well until I began using them to carry eggs from the coop to be washed inside.

I've reused the metal frames from moss baskets & plan to use them again over strawberries. It looks scruffy, but ripe strawberries are worth it.

I haven't tried it, but a gal in front of me at the restaurant supply a few months ago bought cayenne pepper for keeping the squirrels away. She said it works well & was worth the $8 for the large container.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals