Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaggudada

My seedlings died?

jaggudada
11 years ago

Looks like 80% of my tomato seedlings in milk jogs died? At least they appear drooling and no life from the recent cold spell we have had. Not sure what I could have done differently. The whole idea of Wsing is to take mother nature take over. At least that is what I have heard on this forum. What could have I done differently? Aren't we suppose to sow seeds and then forget it? Barring watering from time to time and making sure they don't get too hot.

I thought we leave 'em outside all the time till they go in ground. Unless you think with warm weather, those seemingly lifeless seedlings will just mysteriously become lively again?

Comments (8)

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

I'm sorry about your tomatoes. Maybe warmer weather will perk them up, or at least some of them. Or, if there are unsprouted seeds, they might come up with warmth.

"Aren't we suppose to sow seeds and then forget it?"
    Yes, some do say that you should. As a newbie years ago I found that that isn't always the case. I lost tenders to frost then, too, though never hardy annuals or hardy perennials. Since then, I always cover tender sprouts (like toms, zinnia, marigold) for frost, and sometimes put them in the garage overnight for a predicted deep freeze. I always advise newbies to do the same.

I do think wintersown sprouts are a little more cold hardy than indoor seedlings. The question is how much is "a little more"? If you think about it, common sense dictates that any plant has it's own built-in tolerance. Tender plants are PROGRAMMED to die in cold weather. And even hardy perennials and hardy annuals have to have a limit. Even well established garden plants don't survive particularly cold winters. Container plants have even less tolerance than those in the ground so...

Karen

• jaggudada
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Karen,

That makes lot of sense. I think the cold spell we had recently in North east lasted for few days without break. If it was for a day or so they would have survived. Mine didn't have true leaves, if they had true leaves, may be they would have rode through. I would like to hear from some more people whether their's survived or not, and did they take any precaution like moving indoors, throwing blanket etc.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Well said, Kcqrna, I lost my okra, marigold, datura and Cleome seedlings to the cold. I'm am going to wait two-more weeks to start them over again.

• jaggudada
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ladyrose,

I would also like to plant Okra and Eggplant, I believe they are warm weather crop so is it Okay to start them now? Do you winter sow them or do direct sowing in ground?

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Karen is right -- you can't just forget the tender annuals once they sprout. Usually, they won't sprout until the weather is pretty consistent, but this year my tomatoes were up in March, about a month earlier than usual, because of the oddly warm winter.

We recently had a week where nighttime temps dipped close to freezing for us. I threw a tarp over the whole ws lot and the tomatoes came through fine.

Caryl

• duane456
    11 years ago

I always wait to do my tender annuals, tomatoes, peppers until later so they don't sprout prematurely.
    Duane

• kimka
    11 years ago

The Northeast had a very unusual winter/spring weather pattern this year. We had prolonged very warm weather in February and early March, which caused a lot of early germination in wintersown annuals and vegetables. THEN in late March and early April, we got the February weather we had missed.

Most years I do get to wintersow and forget it. But the early heat meant I had to water earlier than is usual and then I had to tarp two or three times for late freezes. This is not typical of Mid Atlantic/Northeast weather. It happens like once every five years or so, so please don't let it color your wintersowing ideas.

By the way, tarping can be as easy as a good layer of newspaper held down by some rocks.

• trudi_d
    11 years ago

I agree with Kim, the weather is weird this year. If you must protect the seedlings throw a tarp or old blanket over them for the night and remove it in the morning.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting