Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettyd_z7_va

How to start my Lupin seedlings well?

bettyd_z7_va
12 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I can't believe that my first try at WSing has been so successful! Everything I sowed has sprouted!

(OK, everything but my milkweed, but I'm still hoping.)

My Baby Lupin seedlings have their first true leaves and I am dancing for joy!!! Of everything I sowed, I want Lupins the most. If I can be successful with them I will be forever happy!

I'm dying to get them into the garden and have VERY poor soil with lots of soil eroision. I will be putting rocks in place above and below their planting hole to hold the soil there for them.

My questions are:

1. What type of soil do they thrive in, sweet or acid?

2. Will they take a little cool weather? We will have one more cool/cold spell when the blackberries bloom before the heat sets in for the summer and I want to give them a cooler start because the package says they are only hardy through zone 6 and I'm in hot, humid z7. Will they be safe if I get them in the ground now?

3. I must amend because there is practically nothing there now, but clay. If they were your's, what would you use in the planting hole and around the plant to give them the best growing bed possible?

My 7 year old Grandson wanted every color the seed catalog had and they ALL sprouted!

I know they will grow in our area, because our son picked those one year when each child picked a pack of seeds to grow and we planted the seed directly in ground.

That was in flat rich ground. My spot for them now is quite different. Can you help a newbie get her dream?

Sorry this is so long!

Betty

Comments (2)

Sponsored