Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First sprouts of the year

Posted by silverkelt Z5b/Southern Maine (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 8:56

on 4/10 was several types of lettuce and bachelor buttons.

I love early loose leaf lettuce, its so fresh and you can pick it to about June 15th here.. at that point the heat makes it go to bitter.

I love it when I see people picking up lettuce seed in stores in late may and early june... They missed the best part of the lettuce season , even in Maine. Sometimes I approach them about wintersowing.. but a lot of times people think Im crazy. Even when I direct them to the forum or the site.

Silverkelt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First sprouts of the year

Congrats on your first sprouts! Mine were late this year. The Lupinus perennis sprouted on April 9, usually Lupines sprout in late March. There was still snow in late March though.

Great idea about the lettuce, I eat a lot of salads. Do you actually transplant the little lettuce sprouts to the garden? Is that easier than direct-sowing?

o

There is no issue transplanting them into anything.. garden, containers ect. Lettuce is a easy transplanter from what Ive experienced.

you can get lettuce 2-3 weeks early at least if not more, like you I still had snow covering my garden until a few days ago, no way its ready to sow direct in.

o

With lettuces, a late planting in July will give you a fall crop right up through Thanksgiving and you will have no problems with the bitterness or bolting.

o

My brother built a cold frame with some plywood and an old window and managed to get lettuce from the fall through at least Christmas.

I transplanted my leaf lettuce from the jugs to the garden last week. Kale and brussel sprouts went out yesterday.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here