Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda1270

White Floxglove Seedlings??

LindaMA
13 years ago

I received some white Foxglove seeds from seedmoney and sowed them back in January. They germinated perfectly, only they are so close together, they almost look like a lawn in my milk jug. Will the Hunk of Seedlings method work in this case?

The way they are growing it looks as if they will grow into each other, looks like they may not have enough room. I didn't think that foxglove germinated this way. I also didn't think I sowed that many seeds, guess I was wrong.

The Rose Campion that I received from seedmoney is showing great germination.

Thank you so much seedmoney!

Linda

Comments (8)

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Linda, I WS foxglove last year and was blown away by the germination--looked as though I'd tossed a handful of seeds in the container instead of a tiny pinch.

{{gwi:373234}}

I ended up breaking them into multiple HOS and just planting/potting them and letting Mother Nature do the thinning.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

I've been so busy looking for germination in the jugs, that I haven't studied the Notes column where I got the seeds that have germinated beautifully. Thanks for reminding me to do that as I got some seeds from seedmoney also.

Gardenseed, not seeing any germination in David garden phlox yet. How long did it take yours to germinate?

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Pippi21 - I WS Phlox paniculata 'David' seeds on 12/22; they sprouted 3/31.

{{gwi:373235}}

{{gwi:373236}}

I've got a total of 15 milk jugs WS with phlox seeds and just that one has sprouted so far. The others were WS over the course of January - March so I'll be interested in seeing how long the others take to germinate.

• ellenrr
    13 years ago

I had the same experience with foxglove.
    Mine germinated must be 2 months ago, very thickly, which is fine, but until recently I didn't see any growth. I thot perhaps it was cuz they are too close.

I guess they just needed some time. Yesterday I finally saw true leaves appearing.
    I can't wait to see them bloom.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

I noticed new growth on my WS foxglove yesterday as I went walkabout the garden. Last year I planted a WS foxglove beside one I bought at a garden nursery. By the end of the season, the WS plant was triple the size of the nursery plant. Amazing when you consider the seeds are incredibly tiny and the germination rate in the milk jug is approximately 300%. The only WS foxglove failure I had was 'Apricot Beauty' from commercial seed which was disappointing but the mongrel seed from trade more than made up for it. I didn't WS foxglove this year and am guessing I'll kick myself for it next year.

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all, I believe I'll use gardenweed's method, separate is to HOS, plant and let mother nature to her thing!

Happy Spring!
    Linda

• pippi21
    13 years ago

I got some white foxglove seeds too from seedmoney and like you I got heavy handed and have at least 3 (1/2 gal each)HOS
    They will probably get planted out before end of week, depending on the weather.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Seed from white foxgloes can often throw up some purples. A handy tip is to look at the stems of the young plants. Ones which will be white will have green stems. Those reverting to purple have reddish stems. That way you can keep them in separate colours if you want to.