Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamark

Playing with fire or, rather with frost

adamark
12 years ago

Yesterday, I took a half day off to plant shasta daisy that I've got from a friend. The weather was perfect, cloudy, warm with a broadcast for rain today. I started checking my seedlings, since some of them were quite big, I started to plant them. I know, it is playing with fire or, as I said above, with frost. I hope, I'll be lucky. I've planted: Poppies (they will be fine), bacholor buttoms, love in the mist, godetia, feverfew, salvia (lady in red - these were tiny) and snap dragon! Wish me luck. Today, as predicted, it is raining, for a change, I'm happy.

Comments (4)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

Adamark, you couldn't have said it better or reflected my own mood today. 'for a change I'm happy' lol Yesterday was the first day I really committed to planting out and starting the garden season. I've felt like I've been in a holding pattern for awhile. I have pushed forward at times, but the weather has undone my efforts. For the first time in ages, I managed to plant pea seeds early, March 19th and they just rotted in the ground. I had to plant a second batch and yesterday I finally see them peeking out.

Yesterday afternoon, I spent a few happy hours in the garden w a warm, light breeze, and sunshine, smelling hyacinths while I sowed seed, moved perennials and transplanted lettuce and cabbage. It was so pleasant!

I have been taking advantage of the cool gray weather to move a lot of established perennials and prune shrubs, so it hasn't been a total waste. Now I have about 60 containers of winter sown seedlings to start finding a place for and some more rearranging, which should be very manageable.

I've located my row covers and will keep the tops of the containers handy. I've laid black plastic for the tomato seedlings and have wall of waters to use to try to get those out about 2 weeks early. Keeping my fingers crossed for all the winter sowers trying to get the garden season going! :-)

• ellenrr
    12 years ago

Adamark,
    I think you'll be fine with everything you planted, only possible worry to me would be the salvia.

I also got out yesterday and planted Black Holly hock - which germinated beautifully.

today in the '80's whew! tomorrow a "cold front" - in the '60's which I am looking forward to.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I hear you Adamark, I have not planted out for the same. Very Leery of the Frost. But I have an even larger issue, where to strategically place everything.

I believe it's time for me to move onto the landscaping forum. I have a tendency chaos going on.

• dorothy4981
    12 years ago

The story of my life also. Tossed the dice today and decided to start planting - if some don't make it, I will have a built in excuse to winter sow again next year!

Best wishes Adamark - may the fost free Gods rain and shine on your seedlings.