Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photo of my dahlia sprouts

Posted by bookjunky4life 5 Central IL (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 11 at 9:25

Photobucket

I have planted three cups of these so far, and it appears germination is at least 80%. I am super excited about these and since I have to collect every seed I can, I will likely have a ridiculous amount of dahlias seeds come next year. I still have half of a No. 10 envelope full yet. The seeds are even from 2009.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photo of my dahlia sprouts

Wow!! Those are some healthy-looking sprouts! Congratulations on the great germination. I've only ever grown dahlias from bare-root dormant plants. Will they bloom first year from seed? Do you think you'll be looking to offer any of the seeds for trade when the time comes?

o

I've read here that they will bloom the first year, so that's what I'm hoping for. I ancitipate I'll have seeds to offer, yes.

o

• Posted by tomva 7-central virginia (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 1, 11 at 12:46

Now thats a lot of dahlias,I would have never thought to sow seeds from them,I will give it a try next winter,I have 3 that grow from tubers and really like them,thanx for posting this..

o

is dahlia a perennial? Will it come year after year in Zone6?

o

They are not perennial in my zone 5. You have to dig up and store the tubers. I don't know about zone 6.

o

Congratulations! These are Pict's of mine. I brought them inside from the cold.
Dahlia- Bishops' Children
Dahlia - Unwins Ideal Mix

o

Oooh! (One of) My (many) favorite! They look really nice! :o)

o

I have never tryed to grow Dahlis seeds, for the very reason, I did not think you could grow them from seed.
Now, will you still have to dig them in the fall?
Beautiful sprouts,I may have to give these a try next year,thaks for showing.
cAROL

o

What causes dahlia tubers to start growing? Is it time of year? soil temperature? I have about 100 in shallow dishes covered in soil and under grow lights and so far only a red variety has come up...every other one is still snoozing. Anyone?

o

I stopped doing Dahlia's because the tubers were so large they started choking out my rose bushes.

o

I grew Dahlia from seed for the first time this year from seeds I got from Hong Kong on Ebay. I'm very excited to see how they will turn out.

o

Good luck with those seeds, hopefully they will turn out to be what the seller claimed them to be.

I ordered some Butterfly weed seeds from China on ebay this winter, they were very cheap and I was curious to check them out for .99 with free shipping. Well the seeds were round and green - not even remotely milkweed seeds! I threw them away. Who knows what they were.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here