Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenrr_gw

now i'm hoppin'

ellenrr
10 years ago

some of my seeds DID germinate in the paper towel. I got so excited seeing those beautiful little green things, I started WS'ing with a vengeance. and sent away for more seeds. I'm a little late but am looking forward to a lot of sowing.

so far: salvia - blue, unknown colors from last year, and red.
lavendar, kale, 2 kinds lettuce
red gaillairdia, blanket flower, pink strawflower, lobelia, poppy, zinnia

Comments (4)

• terrene
    10 years ago

Hi Ellen, glad to hear your Gaillardia sprouted. I think it is very exciting to see the seeds sprout into baby plants too! What Salvias are you growing?

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

The way this weather has been, you still have plenty of time. I've been itching to get my annuals sown, but we keep getting snow. I may have to wait until May at this rate. Fun to share you excitement. Thanks for chiming in.

Martha

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

Congratulations Ellen!

But tell me because I am having most trouble with getting salvia's, lavender and gaillairdia to sprout?

I presoaked in a cup, but I have no sprouts? Do you presoak, are they in jugs or other type of container? This is my 3rd WS effort to grow Lavenders? I've tried seeds from 4 different companies. Would appreciate your input.
    Sincerely,
    Avis

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Terrene, I don't know the species of the Salvia. These are seeds I had forgotten about, from 2011. I got them in a WS trade, they are perennial. They are so beautiful. Hoping they sprout, but in case they don't I ordered some Perenniel Blue Salvia - called "Salvia Blue Bedder".

Avis, if you live near me, I'll give you some Lavendar seedlings.
    I've heard people say they have trouble seeding Lav, but the 1st year I tried, they came up lushly. The next year hardly anything. This year I sowed them, and when nothing came up, I re-sowed - now everything has come up! I have plenty to share.

the seed is Burpee "True Lavendar" bought in supermarket. It is an annual I assume, bec. it doesn't say perenniel.

No I don't pre-soak salvia, gaillardia or lavendar. I don't think you should pre-soak. I sow almost everything in half of a gallon plastic water container. With the salvia, acc to what I read you should not cover them, I just pat them into the dirt. Gaillardia seeds I covered very lightly.

Salvia that I sowed in previous years has germinated very well. I don't remember if I have sowed gaillardia previously.

I'll let you know how these do.
    Seriously, if you want some seedlings, send a msg to my e-mail and we can try to arrange it.
    Anyway, good luck this year.

Martha, yes I am waiting on annuals. We have 40 degrees one day and then almost 80 degrees the next.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm