Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT: Anyone here use Deer Scram?

Posted by vera_eastern_wa 5a-5b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 9:45

Just wondering if anyone knows how to use this?

My biggest question is they say to sprinkle a 16" wide barrier around edges of gardens. so does that mean I would put out this barrier over the lawn that surrounds these beds? Or does it have to go on bare soil or?

I am looking into other deer repellents. I want to incorporate a 2nd one into my devious plan LOL! I have heard repellents work better if the same one isn't used over and over.

Your info on Deer Scram and any other ideas please!

Thanks

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT: Anyone here use Deer Scram?

Vera, I haven't used Deer Scram, but I do use the sprays. They seem to work (of course, they smell so bad I always joke that they keep EVERYONE and EVERYTHING away, lol!). I have also heard that they work better if you switch them up. So while I've only used the sprays, I switch up the brands; my personal preference is to use organic sprays.

I've read you can make your own, but the thought of doing that makes me gag, lol. Bad enough I once sprayed it just as the wind popped up and it covered me, covered my hair, got in my mouth - ugh!

Good luck! I hope you win the battle against the deer!

Dee

o
RE: OT: Anyone here use Deer Scram?

Thanks.

I used Deer Out in 2012 season....did pretty good and smelled minty. However the deer decided it didn't taste too bad towards last summer/fall. They started eating the flowers off of the Calendula, Coreopsis and Snapdragon mostly. Last year I used a homemade version and it worked good, but I had to keep replacing clogged spray bottles LOL and still they ate pretty much from the same plants and also from the Rugosa Roses that just started blooming last year from wintersown seed sown in 2009. Also that was a stinking mess :O

I went ahead and ordered both Deer Scram pellets and Deer Stopper spray from amazon and the first one should be delivered today. Just in time too....the Elk have moved on and the deer have arrived!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here