Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomva_gw

What is a thug in your neck of the woods

tomva
12 years ago

Just curious,Ive heard butterfly bushes and hydrangeas were invasive elsewhere..Here in my part of Va these are thugs

Orange trumpet vine

purple datura

wild roses

wild strawberrys

blackberrys

morning glorys

honeysuckle

and I'm sure there is more..

Comments (18)

• crazyutahn
    12 years ago

So far in utah I have experienced Blue Flax and Pink Prim Rose. Still fighting the battle of those 2 thugs....

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Gooseneck loostrife, obedient plant, achillea/yarrow, evening primrose, violets, star of Bethlehem, plus a few others such as monarda that are aggressive rather than rampant.

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

If we are talking about natives then let me go with dandelions!! Oh my word the root on those bad boys and pokeweed or as the old timers call it poke salad!! I try to get the roots but I always end up breaking that tap then they just come back bigger and bigger.

If we are talking about introduced I will go with chameleon plant. I do not care if someone offers you a million dollars to plant one sprig of this plant. DO NOT DO IT!! I have been battling this plant since the fall that I planted it. I know I was an absolute idiot!! This thing has the craziest rhizomes and if you leave just an eighth of an inch of a root that thing will become a plant again and shoot out more roots. Crazy invasive plant!! Grrrr I use to like the smell of it now it drives me crazy!!

• tomva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

another one that I have a gazillion lil babys of, agastache anise hyssop..1 plant is alright but its trying to take over like the primrose

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Agastache/anise hyssop is just barely hardy where I am and even though the same two plants come back every year--one of them through a crack in the concrete walkway--they've been well-behaved up to now. The 'Golden Jubilee' I grew via WS last year is gorgeous + slightly shorter than the species but shows no signs of being a prolific reseeder here either.

• LilBlossom
    12 years ago

My dog. She's highly invasive! :oP

Other than that, I have some ivy and creeping nettle type thing, planted by the previous owner that does NOT want to relent. Together, they are planning to kill any hosta and any lily of the valley still left in the flower beds.

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

Oh my, where to begin.
    Garlic mustard
    Creeping Charlie
    Wild Rose
    Goosneck
    Goose Neck
    GOOSENECK
    Violets
    Somekind of grass that is eating my whole yard.
    I know there are others,
    Oh, how can I not mention,,,
    Cameleon Plant,OMGosh, I am with CC. on this one,DO NOT TAKE EVEN A TINY PIECE, YOU WILL BE SOOOOOOOOOOO SORRY.
    Hows this for a list, anyone for pulling weeds?
    cAROL

• noinwi
    12 years ago

White-tailed Deer...sorry, couldn't resist.
    Are you asking about plants that have been WS'd or plants in general?
    Here we have all the usual lawn weeds, Dandelions, Plantain, etc. Burdock is a PITA, Goldenrod and Yarrow(but those two are useful medicinal herbs for me), Virginia Creeper comes out of the woods and tries to take over the area. Purple Loosestrife is present, but the DNR has done a pretty good job of keeping it in check over the years. Garlic Mustard, Asian Honeysuckle, Reed Canary Grass...the noxious list goes on and on...
    Chives and Lily of the Valley are thugs here also.

• tomva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gardenweed I grew two plants last year and now have 40,000 of these things well I didnt count em but you know what I mean..lol,on the good side their easy to pull up..

• drippy
    12 years ago

The worst of the worst I ever had was cirsium arvense, aka Canadian thistle. After I WSed & planted it, it didn't take long for me to figure out that this was going to be very bad stuff - new growth would appear overnight. I was still finding some pieces when I left my northern gardens. Never again!

In a lot of the south, though, the worst of the worst is kudzu. N. Alabama seems to be pretty free of it, but I have seen quite a bit of it elsewhere, and it, too, is one of those plants that grows overnight.

• tomva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

drippy I saw the kudzo down in Georgia,very bad stuff,it was taking over acres and acres of pines

• lceh
    12 years ago

Bamboo! We spent 8 years fighting it at our last house. It would come up through the asphalt driveway, invade the gardens, and was threatening to come through the basement wall. We spent many years thinking unkind thoughts of whoever planted that monster. Once in a while someone would come by and ask for a cutting because they "wanted some bamboo for a quick screen". The answer was always NO!! We felt we had a moral responsibilty to refuse to give ANY to ANYONE for ANY purpose unless the bamboo was already cut and dried and going to be used for building something. We finally learned how to keep it under control through constant mowing, but of course we never got rid of it. Instead we moved. And guess what we found on a corner of our new property? Bamboo! And ailanthus trees, don't get me started on those....

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Invasive Plants are Burdock Root, chickweed and any kind of mint.

Hosta's can fill up an area, if you don't divide them.

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

Burdock is great to rub on you if you get into stinging neetle,it works,keep some around,really
    cAROL

• northforker
    12 years ago

Just googled creeping charlie and YES - That is the thug I battle every year!!!! Thanks for the name, I've just been calling it that &^%$# curly stuff!!!

I am determined to get most of it out EARLY this year, becasue it spreads so quickly. The crab grass too - - I've been eagle eyeing for clumps and attacking them. I've been way way too complacent in years past, spending my time planting more and more seeds this time of year when I really need to be out there WEEDING! I've made a deal with myself - - weed a bed, then plant a packet or two of seeds.

Does anyone else have quack grass (makes a quack sound as you pull it). It's a nightmare here.

Oh, and can you say wild onions?

Nancy

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I didn't list any actual weeds since they're already...well, weeds so they're the bane of our collective existence but since they've been introduced to the thread I'll second, third, fourth and so on that &^%$# curly stuff , aka creeping charlie. It's everywhere and it moves fast. It just loves to grow over the mulch on top of cardboard I laid down all over my little green acre. I try to keep ahead of it as much as possible and when it gets a little too much I'll douse it with vinegar. That stops it in its tracks.

Also have to keep a close eye out for clover--it's in the lawn and will sneak up under my mulch and grow right up into my perennials. I've actually had to dig up a couple, surgically remove the clover growing up through the middle and replant them.

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

gardenweed,,,"Surgically remove",,love it :0)
    cAROL

• noinwi
    12 years ago

Lceh,
    Are you sure you have bamboo, and not japanese knotweed? The latter will actually push up through asphalt! It's probably on every noxious weed list in the country(in other countries, too).

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?